From:
"David G. Schutt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1993 10:17:58 PST
Hi OrganNet:

It looks like lots of us are thinking about residence organs of one
kind or another. It looks like Kevin Scott has *really* given this
a lot of thought from the theater organ point-of-view.

> removable side panels and on wheels for easy servicing.

A very good idea, the second time you have to take all the pipes off
the chest for servicing a pit-organ Robert Morton style chest, you will
be cussing.

>                      cutting holes in the floor for tone openings)

I wish you had a way for the listening area to be on the same level as
the pipes. The rule-of-thumb is 'you should be able to see the pipes
from the console.'

> The first 3 ranks (chosen because they are soft) would be:
> 8' Flute                          85 notes
> 8' Dulciana                       85 notes
> 8' Quintadena                     73 notes
> Electronic pedal

Well, I guess *none* of these are on my top three (or four). What are
you going to use for a solo voice? I think the synthetic voices you
will make up using 2 2/3' unification will quickly become very tiresome.

> The next 9 ranks would be:
.
.
.

What? Still no Vox Humana? They don't have to be nanny (or billy) goat sounding.
Some Wurlitzer Voxes (and others) can have that buttery sound as well
as blending with strings for a lush string/vox combination. I suppose
that's what you have in mind for the Saxaphone, but why pay the premium
price for a new set when you can find a suitable Vox?

> ?' Flute (something different than the first flute, maybe Harmonic)
>          (or maybe something with chiff) (I like chiff)

I love Harmonic Flutes, too.

> BTW, Dave (or anyone else):  do you know of a source of new RM-style stoptabs
>                              (especially in non-standard colors), along with
>                              the contact rod that goes in the back of the tab?

I don't know anyone who makes the brown (cocobola) stopkeys. I think Hesco
makes all the rest with the possible exception of the turquoise ones, but
you don't intend to have any that color anyway, do you?

I have some of the contact rods that have been homemade. I'll send you one
as a sample if you wish.

>         Hopefully the saxophone will be soft enough to also
>         use on accompaniment.

Personally, I try to avoid the vox/saxaphone sound on accompaniment except
for sustained chords with the vox/string sound--and I'm not very good at
that kind of playing.

>     b)  An "Auto-Orchestra" feature.  This is a solo-to-accompaniment coupler

>         dreck index on this one isn't exactly zero, but I like it anyway;

Sounds very interesting.

> 5)  Most theater organ traps are unmusical because they are too loud (they

Next to the Cowbell, my favorite trap sound is the Guiro

>         Marimba Harp (EASILY the most important percussion)

Well, I won't argue with that!

     I'm also considering what use a steel drum might have in an organ.

I have an authentic one that I have been wondering what kind of action
it might have. Something underneath I suppose to keep it looking realistic.

>     * I have designed a computer relay system (but not built it yet).  A file
>       is available which describes it in detail, for anyone who is interested.

I have read it, and anyone who is looking for a relatively inexpensive way
to get an electronic relay will be interested in Kevin's design.

Am I being too reactionary about this? The Vox Humana thing reminds me of a
story that Virgil Fox liked to tell when asked to play organs without Vox
Humanas: He said 'Lynwood Farnam (sp?) said if the instrument doesn't
have a Vox Humana, it's not an organ.' But then, was Virgil prone to
exaggeration?

Lengthily,
Dave