From:
April Bowen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 1994 03:16:20 GMT
On 25 Nov 1994 Justin Renquist wrote:

>I am planning a 2 wekk trip to Belgium with short stints to Netherlands and
>Luxembourg and was wondering if someone could recommend places, people to
>see/talk to. Addresses, telephone numbers would be great! (if people are
>non-English speaking that's ok since I get along fine in German, French and
>Dutch..)
>I want to see old harpsichords and PLAY them if at all possible....or
>replicas also.
>Any good recommendations out there?

Harpsichords in the Netherlands:
Historic harpsichords can be found in the "Haags Gemeentemuseum", with a
small display and a large study collection, playable only on prior request.
Write or call the Haags Gemeentemuseum, Musical Instruments Department,
Stadhouderslaan 41, Postbus 72, NL-2501 CB The Hague, the Netherlands. Phone
31.70.3512873

There are a large number of harpsichord builders active in Holland. Those
with a studio and display collection are:
Fred Bettenhaussen, Spaarnwouderstraat 39, NL-1011 AB Haarlem
        phone & fax: 31.23.361205
Gerrit & Henk Klop, Paleisweg 6, NL-3886 LC Garderen
        phone: 31.5776.1512    fax: 31.5776.1787
Hugo van Emmerik, Gasthuisstraat 13, NL-4161 CA Heukelum
        phone 31.3451.15371

Harpsichords in Belgium:
Historic harpsichords can be found in Antwerp in the Museum Vleeshuis, with
instruments playable on prior request. Ask at the Antwerp Tourist Board for
address etc. A small display is in Brussels in the Musee du Conservatoire,
though it generally isn't possible to play there.

Of the active Belgian harpsichord makers, I would highly recommend the
following:
Geert & Walter Maene, Arti Instrumentale bvba, Spildoornstraat 5, B-8792
Desselgem-Waregem.
        phone:  32.56.702146
He has no studio or display room, but one of his instruments is in frequent
use in the Museum Rubenshuis in Antwerp.

All information courtesy of:
Hans van Krevelen
Musica Repartita
Goedestraat 133