Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1993 20:49:08 EST
Hello, OrganNet!

******** Re: Limiting discussion on synthesizers

If it can help enlighten, inform, or stimulate discussion which will help
expand our knowledge of the organ - then let's keep it.  We organbuilders
and organists have to learn to deal with new technology, and in order to
deal with it we have to have knowledge of it.

But, I agree, don't let it take over the discussions.

******** Re: Stops <--> Ranks

To further complicate the matter, we use three descriptive words around
our shop:
        STOP =  A console control which is not a piston-like thing.
                It may be a speaking or coupling entity, tremulant, etc.
        REGISTER = A single, independent speaking stop.
                It may have more than one pipe per note.
        RANK = A set of pipes having one pipe per note.

So, a register may have more than one rank.  A register may also, by means
of various electric, electronic, pneumatic, or even mechanical chicanery, be
controlled by more than one stop.

Have I really confused everyone now?  :->

******** Re: Restricting this list in any way

Some people think that if anything other than the blower is electric, then
it really isn't a true organ.  Some people even think that the sound of an
organ has infinitely more charm if the wind is supplied by twelve sweating
me... er, "persons".  Some think that high pressure is superior to low. Some
think that Tibias are unmusical; others think that chiffy Prinzipals are
gross.  Some think that swell boxes distort musical line, others think
they create musical line.  Some like speakers more than "peepers".

I think that any discussion which involves *organ-like* musical instruments,
be they winded, analog, digital, or whatever, is perfectly appropriate.

And - I am fascinated by Ed Stauff's Pedal Synth idea.

******** Re: Making this list unavailable by e-mail

Don't.

******** Re: Retuning percussions

I think Deagan was absorbed by the I.T. Verdin company in Cincinnati OH.
We talked with them a few years ago about doing such a dastardly deed.

Peterson might also be able to give you a lead on getting this done.

I make no representations as to the ethicality of such things, as long
as the ding-dongs remain *acoustical* and not *electronical*.  ;-)

******** UPCOMING ORGAN PROGRAMS

Our little (71rk) job at First (Scots) Presbyterian here in Charleston will
be featured in a number of programs this spring.  Y'all come hear us!

        28 March        Dr. William Gudger
        7 PM              Organist, Cathedral of St. Luke & St. Paul, Chas.

Bill will probably do a lot of French romantic stuff, possibly
including most if not all of the Widor 6th.  He hardly gets a chance to
really let loose with such stuff on his very nice, but limited, 2m Kney
up at the cathedral.

        Spoleto Festival Recitals

        31 May          Larry K. Long
        10 AM             Organist & Choirmaster of First (Scots)

        13 June         David Higgs
        11 PM             Eastman School of Music

Tentatively, John Rose will also be playing sometime this autumn.

And, Todd and Anne Wilson will be playing in February of '94 on our
rebuild and expansion (76rks) of the chancel and gallery organs at
Riverside Baptist in Jacksonville, FL.   The schedule says we are
supposed to complete this job in November of this year, and it actually
looks like we might make it!

By the way, only 3 months ofter completion, the Scots Swell One chests are
(figuratively) "back in the shop" for repair.  The @&#%$! air conditioning
unit leaked all over the fool things.  Don't EVER let an architect put an
air handler in the attic over the organ!

AJO

Allan J. Ontko                                      [log in to unmask]
Ontko & Young Co. Inc.                                   Pipe Organ Builders
Charleston, South Carolina                                OrganCADD Software
            Tradition and Innovation in American Organbuilding