Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1993 18:53:48 EST

> Question: This organ became available at a price I could afford
>     largely because the maintenance on it was getting to be too
>     much for the church it was in.  In particular, it had been
>     redone in Perflex in the early 70's.  As a player piano
>     restorer, I have the skills necessary to do all of the
>     re-leathering.  The problem I have is getting the old Perflex
>     off.  None of the tricks I use on player piano stuff seem to
>     work - it won't sand or scrape off, heat doesn't help....
>     Has anyone found a reasonable way to get this gook off???

Tom,

Your perflex removal project is very small compared to the one I've
worked on....DON'T fret - the stuff can be removed by scraping and
with patience.   from stem to stern it should take you about 40 minutes
per pneumatic to remove, scrape, releather and reinstall it.  I am
refering to the modular austin units.. We removed 162 ranks on 14+
chests worth of perflex from our organ here at school..

If you trust yourself with a planer or a stationary belt sander
That will help speed you job.. The above time, I listed is based
on hand scraping and sanding

80 grit sand paper was our friend for a long time...

Kevin Douglas Chun
The Curtis Organ Restoration Society/ U of Pa