Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 12:41:45 PST

>  I will be doing a workshop on MIDI and the Church Musician for the Northern
>  Virginia Chapter of the AGO in early June.  I have some of my own ideas for
>  MIDI usage such as "practice with playback", playing the instrument from a
>  remote part of the church, sequencing a particularly difficult postlude,
>  etc.  Does anyone out there have ideas of their own that they would
>  like to share?
>
>  Cap Bromley

You all may live to regret MIDI.
Here's why:
Many organists depend on church "gigs" to bridge financial gaps.
MIDI could end up putting you guys out of business!
Dont cry to me when this happens!

I do not play well enough to ever do it for pay.
I MIDI bash out of my concern for you guys who do.

Carosels and computers have broken the projectionists union.
In many theatres, someone comes in and does the film splicing, and the
theatre manager starts and stops the film by remote control.
Xenon lamps have eased the fire regulations.
Many movies are totally automated!

You guys are next!
Be carefull about supplying the bullets that will be used to kill you!

You guys aere embracing MIDI so much that someday, the church will discover
that you all can be replaced with a floppy disk!

Imagine:
The pastor invites all to rise and thumb through their hymnals.
He presses a button on the pulpit, and the organs begins to play itself.
There you are in the back row remembering the days when you used to get paid
to play the organ.  Now the hymnals have been digitized onto CD and the pastor
loads the MIDI files to the player action with his MAC.
Don't laugh this off!  You guys are getting screwed and don't know it yet!

I am sick of attending concerts where 1/2 of more of the concert is
already recorded on MIDI for playback.  One well known artist did a dedication,
 that was ALL on MIDI.  He just pretended to play.

Heck!
If I want that, I can go over to "Rootie's" house and listen to his
orchestrians!

For practicing, just use audio tape to listen to your BOO-BOO's

For more complicated arrangements...
Music for 4 hands has been aound for centuries. Theres some great literature
out there for 4 hands.  Besides, 2 musicians who can share a console without
tangling each other up shows real team work.

(Sigh*.....Farney did it best!)

-texx

                Brain fried.....  Core dumped.