From:
Daniel Paul Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 10:23:54 -0600
>I am curious. What is in the Frederick Collection?? Does anyone know??
>Thanks in advance.
>
>                Regards,
>                Michael Sponseller

The Frederick Collection is a private collection of early pianos (and a
harpsichord or two) owned by E. Michael Frederick and his wife Patricia.
It currently overruns their dilapidated 1820's farmhouse in Ashburnham,
Mass., about an hour northwest of Boston.  Mr. Frederick restores the
instruments and keeps many of them in good playing condition.  He is quite
an expert on the history of the piano, and will give tours to anyone who
calls asking for one.  They also have a small concert series in Ashburnham,
and the instruments have occasionally been loaned out for recordings.  I've
visited the collection twice, and been quite amazed at what I've been able
to learn. Included in the playing collection are a German fortepiano, ca.
1790, an 1805 Clementi, an 1805 Katholnig from Vienna, a Graf once owned by
the Sonnleitner family (of Schubert connections), what is possibly the
first surviving Bosendorfer from 1828, and a number of instruments from the
1830s, '40s, '50s and on up to some turn-of-the-century instruments.  He
was just getting an 1867 Steinway into shape when I last visited this past
July.  For address and phone, see my previous post.

DPHorn