From:
"David G. Schutt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1993 12:31:02 PST
From Dave Schutt, Dec 1, 1992
Along the lines of Sam Vause's interest in adding two ranks of pipes for
$20K, it might be interesting to explore other possibilities. I suppose
I would be interested in exploring some kind of MIDI capabilities as well.
Does the Rodgers have MIDI now? If so, MIDI magnet drivers could be added
rather easily. If you used the Devtronix 293-system, you would need the
following parts:
  2 293-3 Output boards @ $125 each (one for flute, one for diapason)
  1 293-1MCO Output processor @ $250.
Total for electronics $500. If you need to add the MIDI capabilities to
the keyboards, that would be additional.

I have an old 3-rank ventil chest that I would be happy to send [freight
collect] to South Carolina :-) I think it is an Aeolian. It needs pipe
rank boards and rebuilding, but it never has been wet. Do you need swell
shades?
-----
From Dave Schutt, Dec 6, 1992
I'm going to be out-of-town for a few days, so I won't be bouncing
messages. I'm going to San Diego to see a copy of the San Francisco
Orpheum Theater Robert Morton that Kenny Crome built. I am thinking
about having Kenny build another one for me.

In regard to my ventil chest: it is a Kilgen. In order for it to be
much use to anyone, it should probably have all-electric valves put
under each pipe hole.

I'll post a note about my trip when I get back.
-----
From Sam Vause, Dec 7, 1992
Just a short note in today's local paper:

"The stone vaults of Notre Dame cathedral rang Sunday to the music
of a full organ for the first time in two years as the church's
newly restored instrument came home, complete with computerized keyboard.

"About 3,000 people heard the music at morning Mass in the first
of a week of concerts celebrating the organ's return.

"The $2.1 million restoration blended high-tech technology (sic)
with the original 7,800 pewter (?!?!) pipes, installed in the 1860's."

Comments, anyone?
                                                --sam
-----
From Jerry Akers, Dec 3, 1992
        Greetings:

        My  church  is trying  to sell a Schober  organ.  I think  it's the
        "concert"  model.  I'm not real familiar with  Schober.  Anyway, it
        has  2  manuals  32-note  AGO   (concave/radiating)   pedal  board,
        combination  action,  divided  expression.  It also  has a 32' stop
        that  was  added by the  gentleman  who  assembled  the  thing.  In
        addition to that, it has a second set of "tone generators" built by
        the same gentleman.

        No reasonable offer will be refused.
-----
From Jerry Akers, Dec 3, 1992
        I am trying to sell my Rodgers  Cabinet  Organ (Model 205).  It has
        about 38  stops.  It has two ranks of pipes  (4'  Principal  and 4'
        Gedeckt; 49 pipes each).

        Everything  is contained  within the  console.  It's about 9.5 feet
        wide 6.5 feet high and about 39 inches  deep.  It weighs about 1300
        pounds.  The console (and pipe  towers) are of Oak.  The stop jambs
        (draw knobs) and interior of the console is of Walnut.

        Photos, stop list  (accurate)  and exact  dimensions  are available
        upon request.  I want  $20,000.00 for it and would consider  trades
        for other organs and/or pipe organ parts, etc.

        Here's the stop list (to the best of my recollection):

        Manual I (Great):

        8'      Prestant        (pipe; 1-12 electronic)
        8'      Gedeckt         (pipe; 1-12 electronic)
        8'      Still Gedeckt
        8'      Flute Celeste II
        4'      Octave          (pipe)
        4'      Gedeckt Flote   (pipe)
        2'      Fifteenth
        2'      Block Flote     (pipe)
        1 1/3'  Quint
        III     Mixture
        I       Cymbel
        16'     Dulzian
        8'      Krummhorn

        Manual II (Swell):

        8'      Gemshorn
        8'      Gedeckt         (pipe)
        8'      Still Gedeckt
        8'      Gemshorn Celeste
        4'      Principal       (pipe)
        4'      Gedeckt Flote
        2 2/3'  Nasat
        2'      Octave          (pipe)
        2'      Walt Flute
        1 3/5'  Terz
        1'      Sifflet
        III-IV  Scharf
        16'     Fagot
        8'      Trompette

        Pedal:

        16'     Subbass
-----
From Sam Vause, Dec 3, 1992
>>Along the lines of Sam Vause's interest in adding  two  ranks  of
>>pipes  for  $20K,  it  might  be  interesting  to  explore  other
>>possibilities. I suppose I would be interested in exploring  some
>>kind  of  MIDI  capabilities as well.  Does the Rodgers have MIDI
>>now? If so, MIDI magnet drivers could be added rather easily.  If
>
>Fortunately,  the  Rodgers  does  have MIDI.  I am not sure of the
>implementation,  but  it  works  with  my Kawai  K3 synth,  and my
>computer's Soundblaster Pro kit.

My first time doing a follow-up to my own  followup,  passing  on
information that I have just learned:

I called Rodger's in Hillsboro,  Oregon,  and  got  to  speak  (I
think)  to  the engineer most familiar with the MIDI component of
the Rodger's organ design.  He and I  discussed  several  of  the
latest  features  of  the  latest  MIDI  implementation for their
product (generically known as "MIDI Phase II").  He let  me  know
that  I  could  upgrade  my current instrument (new CPU board and
ROM) for this improvement.

MIDI Phase II allows the sequencer  to  download  a  patch  (i.e.
"Voice")  change  to  the  organ,  which causes the organ to then
physically change the registration at the draw knobs.  There  are
other  MIDI  improvements  and new features, but I could not keep
him on the phone long enough to discuss them.

I have contacted my local Rodger's  dealer  to  investigate  this
upgrade's cost, and I'll share further info as I get it.

Dave Schutt:  thanks  for  the  information on the Devtronix MIDI
Magnet Drivers.  I will contact the vendor in Sacremento!
                                                --sam

-----
From Scott VanOrnum, Dec 7, 1992
Some bad news to relay for those who may be interested. I learned
today that Russell Saunders, long time faculty and scholar at
Eastman, died of a heart attack last Saturday. This hits the organ
world especially hard considering David CraigheadUs retirement just
last year, leaving another major organ institute in flux. I realize my
bias, being a former student, but in many opinions Eastman has
been a strong influence (good and bad) on the world of organ for
many decades, and seemed to be a power-house for many of
todayUs better organists.

David Higgs, Craighead's replacement, is apparently doing fine, but
has been there less than a year now and has yet to build his own
clout in the teaching circuit. I personally know of several MasterUs
and DMA candidates who will be withdrawing their applications for
Eastman for the next school year due to the loss of Saunders.

I would be interested in hearing from others in this group regarding
how all the 'major institutions' are viewed. What are the major
institutions in prominence these days? Who are the major figures
for the next 2 decades? I look at the roster of the most influential
teachers/scholars/performers of today, and I'd say that a good
percentage are in the 55-75 yrs. old bracket: Gillian Weir, Robert
Glasgow, David Craighead, Gerre Hancock, Mdme. Durufle, Marie-
Claire Alain, C. Crozier etc. (insert your own favorites.) Obviously,
these people are not immortal, and we will most likely lose a very
large portion of them in the next 2 decades.  *sigh*

Fortunately, there are growing numbers in the 20-35 yr. bracket
(Michael Farris, Dianne Belcher, David Higgs (is he older?), Martin
Jean, James Kibbie) and there is much more interest in sponsoring
competitions and activities for young performers. If you have any
interest in the above babblings, who would you see picked to fill the
shoes of a Russell Saunders, or any other major institution
opening?  [I understand that Larry Smith was offered the Eastman
spot prior, but he declined due to salary (heh heh).]

Anyway, forgive my rambles, but losing R. Saunders sparked some
curiosity on my part as to who would really be considered as a
replacement in the same category, and where the 'organ world' will
head in 20 yrs. I imagine everyone said the same about losing
people like Gleason, Biggs, Fox, Heiller, and more recently Durufle,
Langlais and Messiaen.

Thanks for tolerating, and I anxiously await responses from 'The
Net',
-----
From Dave Schutt, Dec 10, 1992
As your mailboxes undoubtedly see, I'm back from southern
California. The heavy rain and excessive speed on the Los Angeles
freeways was terrifying to a country boy like me.

The copy of the 4-manual Robert Morton console was very impressive
and very big. It is walnut with a beautiful finish. It shows weeks
and weeks of labor by Ken Crome, Dick Schroeder and its owner,
Larry Grundy. I haven't 100% decided to have Ken Crome make one
for me, but I am *almost* certain that I shall give him an order
by the end of the year. It's a monumental project, and there will
be much work for me to do after Kenny is finished.

I also stopped to see Dick Schroeder, who has a 14-rank Robert
Morton in his home in Encino, CA. He is an inventive genius who
has added many unusual touches to his installation. E.g. a motor-
driven height adjustment on the bench. Dick bought many of the
spare parts from the defunct Robert Morton factory that the Crome
brothers had been keeping for years and years. I'll probably put
silver wire in some of the blank contact blocks that Dick has. The
regular phosphor-bronze contacts in the Robert Morton don't seem
to work very well with Devtronix MIDI input boards.

Notre Dame
----- ----
I wish we had an OrganNet correspondent from France who could give
us the particulars about what has been done at Notre Dame (and by
whom). I guess this should be an incentive for me to post an ar-
ticle on Usenet about our mailing list. Or any of you are
certainly welcome to do the same.

Organ Professors
----- ----------
It is sad indeed to hear that another one of our most distinguish-
ed organ people, Prof. Russell Saunders, is gone. I saw Prof.
Herbert Nanney at the dedication of the St. Joseph's tracker in
San Jose. It certainly reminded me of his long tenure at Stanford
University. However, he has not been in good health since his
stroke several years ago. I understand that Richard Purvis has
some pulmonary problems in addition to his bad hip.

This kind of news brings the previous discussions about who will
carry on the future role of the King of Instruments. Is the organ
world having a tough time dealing with the respect for tradition
and the need to attract young people? And what can be done about
it?
-----
From Paul Rutz, Dec 10, 1992
Thanks for adding me to OrganNet.

>Consider yourself on the OrganNet. Where did you get my email address?

Keith Womar (who is on your list) told me about OrganNet. He and I
both live in Austin.

>Primarily I am seeing how much interest there is in the subject by
>running ads in "The Diapason", "The American Organist", and
>"Theater Organ" magazines. I am planning to solicit suggestions
>for the best way to implement the idea. Your contributions would
>be greatly appreciated. I would be interested in your level of
>involvement with telecommunications.

I bet if you wrote a short letter to the editor announcing the group
they would publish it. Save you the price of an ad, and I suspect more
people read the letters than read the ads.

>inable subject, and some that are unimaginable! However, I haven't
>found a pipe organ newsgroup yet. I understand you need to have at
>least 100 interested parties in order to form a regular newsgroup.
>Do you check Usenet newsgroups regularly? I think I will post
>something in the netnews category to see what kind of response I
>get.

I don't believe there is a pipe organ newsgroup. There is
rec.music.classical, but I stopped reading it because there was not
much of interest to me, although there were occasional letters about
the organ. You should definitely post the OrganNet address to this
group if you have not already. I don't know how one sets up a new
group.

As for your options, I don't subscribe to any pay-for services (Compuserve,
etc.), nor am I in the habit of dialing up any BBS's, so the Internet
e-mail route is the best for me.

Here is some additional information about me:

Paul Rutz, ([log in to unmask])
Born: 1959
Education: BA, Computer Science, Univ. of Texas, 1981
Occupation: MIS Systems Analyst, MCC, Austin, Tx
Member: AGO (sometimes), OHS
Computer: Macintosh IIci
Musical interests: Organist at a Lutheran church since 1982.
  Occasional organ or harpsichord recitals. Studied organ with
  Frank Speller (UT, Austin), Peter Hurford (England) and Harold
  Rutz (my dad, organ professor at Concordia College, Austin).
  Do some composing, mostly short chorale preludes.
-----
From Glenn Gentry, Dec 10, 1992
Dave-
   Please add the following person to the Organ net list:

   Burley Salmon:   [log in to unmask]

   He is a senior ORGAN MAJOR (a rare species in our part of the world!) at
Millsaps College.
   I am enjoying the comments immensely. Among the organ educators I have
been impressed with (they have played here at one time or another) are
Del Disselhorst, Marilyn Keiser, & Joan Lippincott. All were very well
received (I almost forgot, Sandra Soderlund played a couple of years ago,
also well-received). of these, I think Joan Lippincott had the best approac
to and response from the audience (the majority of our audiences are not
organists); she is certainly effective as an audience-educator! This is not
to leave out our regional favorite, Warren Hutton, who has probably done
more to advance the organ in the Southeast US than any other single
individual.
  I can sense the organnet is EXPANDING!
                                Glenn

-----
From Kevyn Collins-Thompson, Dec 11, 1992
Please include me in your list.  My interest
is in tracker organs.

Kevyn collins-thompson
-----
From Anton Frank, Dec 11, 1992
|> If you would like to participate, send your e-mail address to me at
|> [log in to unmask] and I'll send you more information.

Please do so. I would be interested.

         Anton Frank
         Institut f"ur Informatik
         Technische Universit"at M"unchen
         [log in to unmask]      Blu@IRC
-----
From Dave Schutt, Dec 11, 1992
Well I put a brief thing about OrganNet in the rec.music.classical
newsgroup. Now my mailbox is overflowing (8 at last count) with
people who are interested. Maybe we'll get our own newsgroup out
of this yet. I'm very encouraged to see so much interest.
-----
From Norm Strong, Dec 11, 1992
I'm a great lover (and recorder) of pipe organ music.  Would you put me on
your mailing list.  Thanks a bunch.

Norm Strong  ([log in to unmask])
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144   USA
-----
From Curt Heisey, Dec 11, 1992
I would enthusiastically like more info on the organ mailing list.
I'm an avid lister of organ music, and can certainly fall into the
category of organ nut.

BTW, is this list related to one that a fellow in Austrailia was
trying to set up at the end of last summer?  I sent my name off, but
nothing ever happened to that.

Also, you may as well send the information to a friend of mine.
[log in to unmask] (Mike Hughes).  We correspond quite
regularly on organ music and recordings.

Look forward to hearing from you.
-----
From Allan Ontko, Dec 13, 1992
Been out tuning, so have not been on the computer.  Wonderful tuning season:
the first three churches we went to had funerals the day we were supposed to
tune them.  A few days later, we were about to set a temperament when two men
came in with a BIG ladder to change out the spotlight bulbs in the chancel.
The schedule still has not recovered.  At one church, the organist claims he
can accurately forecast the weather for Christmas: if it's warm the day we
tune his organ, Christmas is going to be bitter cold . . .

* PIPE ADDITIONS to electronic organs

$20K sounds like an awful lot for two ranks, but probably is not too far out
of line when one considers all the costs involved like blower, reservoir, etc.

We just gave out a bid for a single manual 3 1/2 stop tracker for $28K.  Oy!

Old ventil chests respond wonderfully to re-actioning with all-elec valves.

* SAUNDERS, et al

It is certainly a shame that Russell Saunders has left us so soon.  I only met
him once, at an AGO convention, and was impressed by his manner and his ideas.

A person of such stature cannot be replaced.  There is no one with Russell's
particular gifts, just as there was no one who could replace Virgil Fox,
Biggsy, or the other 'greats' of our time.  We hope someone with different
gifts of such a high caliber will continue his lead.

Good observation: most of the people whom we consider to be at the top of the
organ playing profession are in or approaching the Senior age bracket.  Will
we be able to attract the new students who will generate the tuition bucks
with which we can pay really good salaries to the really good new teachers?

And, will churches be willing to shell out a decent salary so that young
people will be attracted into the profession in the first place?

We have survived worse than these times.

* CHECK THIS OUT ---- impromptu reviews

Just got a few CDs and cassettes from the Organ Literature Foundation.

----- BACH complete organ works played by Michel CHAPUIS (CD, Vol 5)

Playing on the Christian Muller organ at St. Bavo's, Chapuis is a master of
creative phrasing and registration.  He uses some of the most unlikely stop
combinations to produce the most delightful and intriguing results.  Nothing
bizarre here, but nothing dull either.  If you want an example of solid musi
cianship coupled with fabulous imagination, this is a must-hear!

Only gripe: the organ has a Terzzimbel which will draw blood from your eye
balls, and Chapuis uses it a lot.

----- DICK LIEBERT at RCMH and the Rochester Palace (cassette)

This is a tape produced by the OLF, and is a re-recording of old records.  It
includes selections from "Souvenirs of New York" (1962, HiFi) at RCMH, "Lie
bert at the Palace Theatre" (1969, RCA), and "Liebert at RCMH" (1969, RCA).

Also included are two items taken from 78rpm recordings.  The first is "Love
Songs of the Nile", a soundtrack from a movie short recorded in 1933, and
selections from "Organ Encores" (1940, RCA).  The second is listed as RCMH,
but sounds to me like the little WurliTzer up in the studio rather than the
big job in the main auditorium.

The transfer to cassette is nicely done, with about as little background noise
as one could get without sophisticated electronic tweaking.

* WHAT? YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE ORGAN LITERATURE FOUNDATION?

You've probably seen their adverts in the American Organist and Diapason, and
wondered what this is all about.  The OLF, run by Henry Karl Baker, is a
veritable treasure-trove of organ-related goodies.  I spend far too much money
with him, and don't regret it a bit!

Catalogue "AA" is now available, with 60 pages of available items, plus anoth
er two pages of last minute additions.  Each page has about 90 individual
listings.  For example:
     Organ books                    8 1/2 pages
     Organ music                    4 1/2 pages
     Theatre organ recordings       6 pages
     Classical organ recordings     33 pages

They also have most of the AEolian residence organ contracts on file, avail
able for a service charge and per-page duplication charge.

If you order anything within a given year, you get their next catalog automat
ically, as well as periodic notice of specials and addenda.

To receive a catalog send $2.00 to:
     The Organ Literature Foundation
     45 Norfolk Road
     Braintree, MA  02184-5918

* RAMBLINGS IN THE FIELD

Heard from various sources, but not yet confirmed:

 . . . The MPM assets and real estate may be on the action block shortly.  We
hear that the bankruptcy court does not want to pay for heating that immense
complex any longer than necessary to keep the wet-sprinkler system from freez
ing this winter . . .

 . . . Is Rodgers interested in buying the MPM factory and stock?  They are
getting more orders for straight pipe organs and might find it more profitable
to build pitman chests . . .

 . . . At least one church in the Southeast, we hear, went to court and got an
order allowing them to remove their pipe organ, in the Hagerstown plant for
rebuilding, to another builder's facility . . .

*********

Off to another week of tunings.  The beats go on . . .

Best --

AJO
-----
From Lewis Jones, Dec 14, 1992
I am interested in joining the organ list, please could you send me details.
My particular interests are in classical organ music and organ building
techniques.
-----
From Wayne Gloege, Dec 14, 1992
A good friend is preparing a master list of all U.S. and Canadian pipe
organs.  He is about up to 31,000 entries already.  We are in need of all
sorts of contributions (as builder, location, opus no., year, condition,
ranks, stops, condition, etc.).  List is inclusive of
Church/Concert/Classic/Theater/etc. types.

I saw your notice on USENET'S rec.music.classical, and would like to learn
more.
-----
From Paul Brown, Dec 14, 1992
Well, I started pulling console parts out of the chamber last Saturday,
and managed to build most of it Sunday afternoon, in addition to playing
a banquet Sunday night... what fun!!!  I am still looking for one part
of the console that I need.  Next is the the framework for the swellshades.

It was nice talking to you, sorry you have to miss the Christmas concert,
and hope your concert goes well.  You didn't tell me all the details
on Chet's opportunities at ???

Thanks for keeping me on the distribution list.... you don't need to
bounce this to the rest of the net.. Thanks.

psb
-----
From Doumen Jan (DeJean), Dec 15, 1992
thanks for the extensif reply on my mail.
I first would like to ask if you can have a look at my email adress.
In the list of subscribers I found dqdoumen instead of jqdoumen. I don't
know if it is a typing mistake or not, but if you bounce OrganNet mail to
dqdoumen, it propabely will bounce back.

You asked about my knoledge of the net. Well, I'm a PhD student in Chemistry
at the VUB in Brussels Belgium. PhD student here can get a userid if they
want to. Since I'm on a department for x-ray xtallography we do a lot of
computing. (I particular on our Cray) For that reason I also asked for a
userid. I'm on the net for over one year now. The experience I have build
up till now is mainly ftp'ing, e-mailing, and related stuff. Listserv
discussion groups, netnews (we receive netnews on the Calculation Center of
the VUB).
As you asked about posiblities for a OrganNet; here are my suggestions.
Because I can only access internet and related networks (no nets which
have to be payed for and also no nets or computers to be accessed by modem)
I would suggest a listserv discussion group. It gives the possibilty
to keep archive files which can be searched through via a database system. and
it gives also thepossibility for storing files which can be retreived via email.
On the other hand you could indeed use the netnews facilities. And since
crossposting between listserv and netnews is possible you could reach a lot
of people.
If there are a lot of organ related files you could perhaps try to locate
a site for anonymous ftp for these files. (Try David Datta, he will possibly
help you with that.)
I don't know if crossposting is possible between these facilties and the others
you talked about. But I suggest that you try to link as many servers as
possible.

I'll post an introduction about myself later on.

Thanks.

DeJean.
-----