Help for PIPORG-L Archives

PIPORG-L Archives

PIPORG-L@LIST.UIOWA.EDU

PIPORG-L Home

PIPORG-L  September 1997, Week 1

PIPORG-L September 1997, Week 1

Princess Diana - Anglican Communion News Release

"Travers C. Koerner" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Sep 1997 08:11:46 -0500

Thought Pipe Org-L readers might find the following news realease interesting.
Best,
Travers Koerner

"ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE" by IAIN on Aug. 6, 1992 at 07:07 Eastern,
about NEWS RELEASES FROM THE ANGLICAN COMMUNION OFFICE, LONDON, UK (1311
notes).

Note 1311 by JIM ROSENTHAL on Sept. 2, 1997 at 06:39 Eastern (9804
characters).

A NEWS STORY FROM THE ANGLICAN COMMUNION OFFICE, LONDON

ANGLICAN CHURCH LEADERS MOURN THE DEATH
OF DIANA PRINCESS OF WALES;

ARCHBISHOP CAREY-"WE LEAVE HER IN THE ARMS OF ALMIGHTY GOD"

by James M Rosenthal
(ACNS, London)

Anglican Church leaders from around the Communion have expressed shock and
sadness over the news of the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales.
Prayers were offered for the repose of her soul in parishes around the
world and thanksgiving offered for her life and work in Britain and around
the world. Of utmost concern to Church leaders was the welfare of her
surviving sons, Prince William and Prince Harry.

The Ven Martin Draper, Vicar of St Georges Anglican Church, Paris, rushed
to the hospital in Paris to pray the traditional Prayer Book Commendation
for the dying. He was present with Prince Charles as the body of Diana was
taken to the airport for the journey back to England. One of the Royal
Chaplains was present at Northolt as the body of Diana arrived back in
England. The body will be placed in the Chapel Royal, St James's Palace,
London.

In a television interview the Bishop of Winchester, the Rt Revd Michael
Scott-Joynt, said Diana "clearly lived out a Christian understanding of
compassion".  Speaking from his local church, an emotion filled Prime
Minister Tony Blair, called Diana "the people's princess".

Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey spoke to the nation from Manchester
Cathedral, where he lit a candle and read the 23rd Psalm.  At the time of
the Archbishop's enthronemnet, Diana was the member of the Royal Family to
attend the service.  The Archbishop said, "I was shattered to hear that
this vibrant person had lost her life. It is a terrible tragedy for
everybody.

"She seized the imagination of young and old alike. This beautiful woman
was also a very vulnerable human being and out of that vulnerability and
weakness, if you like, came lots of strength her passion and her commitment
to people.

"I think there's a sense in which we are all grieving, because she
expressed something that we all valued and loved. I knew her as someone who
loved life.  She was deeply committed to people, to issues, to causes. I
found her a very interesting person who was very committed to people. We
are reminded that death is only inches away from each one of us. Perhaps it
will help us all to focus on the really important things in life, human
love and relationships, and faith in God.

"She had faith in God although she wasn't the kind of person who wore
religion on her sleeves. There was a deep faith there.

"The word passion seems to sum her up. There was a commitment, to issues,
to causes.

"She was a deeply religious person in the sense that she cared about
people.... There was faith in her whole personality. Certainly she believed
in God and certainly she believed in the power of love.

"As a Christian, I want to say, we leave her in the arms of Almighty God."

The Archbishop of York, the Most Rev David Hope said,
"I am totally numbed by the news. When I was Bishop of London I met her at
many charity functions and what struck me always was her enormous vitality
and vibrancy and straight- forwardness. She had a compassionate heart for
those who experienced tragedy in their own lives.

"There seems to me to have been a real growth and maturity in Diana,
particularly in the way she acted as mother to the two sons who are in
everybody's thoughts at this time.

"There is deep sadness at the tragic ending of a life but now she is
received into God's gracious keeping together with the others killed."

Lord Runcie, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, who conducted the royal
wedding said, "Diana had a great sense of eagerness to be up to the
challenge of being Princess of Wales. She had a real, tender desire to be
what everybody expected her to be. I treasure some of the heartfelt and
sincere letters she wrote at that time. She was very tender. She needed
assistance."

The Bishop of London, the Rt Rev Richard Chartres said,
 I am distressed and stunned by the news of the death of Diana, Princess of
Wales. Having confirmed Prince William recently, her children will be
particularly in my prayers as well as Prince Charles, her family and the
relatives of all those involved in this tragic accident."

At the Anglican Communion Office in London, Canon John L. Peterson made the
following statement: "We remember before God, Diana, Princess of Wales, ,
who died in Paris this morning following a car crash. This sudden and
tragic death of this lively and caring person, loved by so many,  saddens
us all immensely.

"Diana's ministry of compassion and care will be her legacy, and we are
indeed grateful to have had her as part of our Anglican family.  Already
tributes are being received from Archbishops, Bishops, clergy and lay
people of our church around the globe.

I know I speak for millions of Anglican Christians around the world today
as we express our deep sorrow and pray especially for her sons, Prince
William and Prince Harry, in this great loss of their mother.  May she rest
in peace and rise in glory."

>From Worcester, Bishop Peter Selby, said, "It is not often that we as a
society can see in a person a vision of care for others and compassion in
action. For now we pray for her and those who died with her: God grant them
rest and peace."

The Archbishop of Cape Town, the Most Revd Njongonkulu Ndungane, said from
Southern Africa, "Princess Diana was a person who cared for the vulnerable
and marginalised in a world in which a lot of such people often goes
uncared for. We knew her as someone who would be with the sick and the
dying in their time of need. She endeared herself to millions in the region
covered by the Anglican Church in Southern Africa because of her work in
two areas that directly affect us most - amongst the victims of AIDS and
those who continue to suffer the dreadful consequences of landmines that
were laid in recent wars. Her witness will be missed."

The Archbishop of Armagh, the Most Revd Robin Eames said, "The shock and
disbelief which has been expressed from all parts of the world testifies in
some way to the uniqueness the Princess of Wales brought to so many lives.
It is a human tragedy that a young life of beauty and willingness to reach
out to those in real need has been so abruptly brought to an end. Our
hearts and prayers reach out to the Princes William and Harry, themselves
on the threshold of their lives, to Prince Charles and to her loved ones at
this time of such sorrow.  Something of the human touch has disappeared
from our national life."

The Bishop of Aotearoa, The Rt Revd Whakahuihui Vercoe, has extended the
condolences of Anglicans in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands to the
friends and family of  the Princess of Wales, and asks for `God's healing
grace' on her children at this traumatic time.
 On behalf of the Senior Bishops, Bishops and people of the Anglican Church
in Aotearoa, New Zealand & Polynesia, Bishop Vercoe said, "It is with great
sadness that we have learnt of the tragic death of the Princess of Wales.
All our  people, Maori, Pakeha and Polynesian, extend our sincere
condolences to her friends and family. ur thoughts and prayers are with
them all, and especially to Her Majesty, the Queen, and the whole of the
Royal Family.May God's healing grace and patience be with her two sons in
this traumatic moment in their lives."

St Pauls Cathedral, London, held a special service on Sunday evening,
broadcast by BBC-TV. Thousands filled the cathedral to, as Dean John Moses
said,  "hold her in our prayers".   The Dean spoke of "sharing the grief"
and the "deep distress" of Diana's tragic death. He said, "we give thanks
for her life, work and vitality and her concern for those on the margins of
life". The service began with the choir singing the text from Wisdom, "the
souls of the righteous are in the hand of God". The congregation sang the
hymns "Love Divine" and "The Lord's My Shepherd" with many in tears. The
choir also sang Psalm 130 and a portion of the Requiem by Faure.   In the
prayers the Precentor thanked God for "all that she came to be".  The Dean
mentioned the Royal Wedding that had taken place at St Pauls. He spoke of
Diana's life as "the story unfolds with its dimensions of tragedy and
terrible conclusion".

At Westminster Abbey, the music of the regular Evensong service was changed
to mark the solemnity of the day. The Revd Jonathan Goodall offered prayers
for all who died in the crash and for Diana's family.  The Revd John
Gaskell obviously put aside his prepared sermon to ask the congregation to
be "silent" and pray. He spoke of resurrection faith and promise in the
midst of such shock and tragedy.

In Balmoral, the Royal Family, including Prince William and Prince Harry,
attended Church of Scotland Presbyterian services on Sunday, as is their
custom when in Scotland. No mention of Diana's death was made in the
"normal Sunday worship".  However in Oban, Scotland,  Diana's mother Mrs
Shand Kydd, a devout Roman Catholic, asked for Masses to be said for her
daughter in St Columba's Cathedral and this was done by Father Sean
MacAuley. Mother Teresa, speaking from Calcutta said of her friend Diana,
"She was very concerned about the poor and her attitude towards the poor
was good."

At Buckingham Palace hundreds of floral tributes were placed at the main
gate, with people in tears, while others seemed to be in stunned silence.
Prayers, poems, and photos were affixed to the flowers.

Canon James Rosenthal
Director of Communications, The Anglican Communion
London, England
Editor, ANGLICAN WORLD