Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 20:29:11 EST
Hello, OrganNet!

********** Re: Unified Tracker Organs

We did a mechanical action beastie a few years ago with pedal extensions
using divided channels such as Larry Chace described.  It works just
fine, with no tuning problems even on reeds.

There is an organ here in town by a NY builder nobody knows with the little
flap valves built in to the toeboards.  They are a constant source of
problems, perhaps because of the design and/or execution.

Of course, if you are going to extend/borrow, electric action makes it
really easy ;-)

Your 16' scaling will have to be a composite scale:
     Begin a little large in the 16' octave (perhaps -5 or -6 HT);
     bring the scale down around 16' A into the 8' octave;
     stabilize around 8' F at perhaps -7 or -8 HT with narrow mouth;
     start bringing the scale up around 4' C or so to -5 at 4'F;
     I would go to a metal gedeckt at about 4' G,
          jump the scale 2 HT larger between wood/metal and
          keep the mouth still fairly narrow (no more than 2/9);
     let the scale grow, perhaps 2 HT per octave;
     go to open metal at 1/2' D, jumping the scale 2 HT again
          and keeping the mouth still narrow.

Scale progression would then be:
        C1      -5      2/9 mouth       wood gedeckt
        G#9     -5
        C13     -6
        F18     -7
        C25     -7
        F#31    -5
        G32     -3      2/9 mouth       metal gedeckt
        C37     -2
        C49     NM
        C61     +2
        C#62    +4      2/9 mouth       metal open
        G68     +5.5

(Information based on the NormalMensur system of half-tone deviations)

That's my idea.  It should give you a nice firm Pedal bass, a clean but
warm Manual tenor, and the treble should be silky and colorful.  Cutups will
be fairly high in the bass and lowering as the scale increases.  Don't use
a supply house set laid out with halving ratios unless you want something
that's only mediocre.

********** Residence organs

We actually built a residence organ a few years ago for a nice couple
in Aiken SC.  He was a Navy Captain who was giving the organ to his wife
as a present when he retired from the service.  They are Lutherans, and so
wanted a nice little baroquish instrument.  My predilictions being what
they are, we did the organ in French/American classic style.  We also put
an "Aim High -- Air Force" bumper sticker inside the windchest. :-D

It is electric and unified, but gives some independence.  All the scaling
is variable.

RANKS

A.      16' Quintaton
B.      4'  Flute a cheminee
C.      4'  Prestant
D.          Cymbale III (c13 to c49 only)
E.      8'  Trompette [prepared]

MANUAL I

8'      Bourdon                 1-12 A, rest B
4'      Prestant                C
4'      Quintaton               A
2'      Flute a bec             B
        Cymbale                 D
8'      Trompette               E

MANUAL II

8'      Quintaton               A
4'      Flute a cheminee        B
2'      Doublette               C
1 1/3'  Larigot                 B (don't laugh - it works!)
8'      Trompette               E

PEDAL

16'     Quintaton               A
8'      Bourdon                 1-12 A, rest B
4'      Prestant                C
8'      Trompette               E

Tremulant for whole organ
No couplers

Manuals 58 notes, pedal 32 notes concave/radiating.

Entire organ voiced on about 70mm wind, single bellows regulation.  The
cymbale is very small scale, lightly voiced; tenor octave repeats to the
bass octave and likewise at the top of the keyboard.

You might find it interesting that they considered a tracker, but decided
against it because of the limited resources available.  I think that in
smaller organs variety of color is perhaps more important than anything
else including the "purity" of key action.

We considered a Tibia Moutarde and a Cloches de Glock, but there is
preparation for a Grand Cowbell Slide.

AJO

Allan J. Ontko                                      [log in to unmask]
Ontko & Young Co. Inc.                                   Pipe Organ Builders
Charleston, South Carolina                                OrganCADD Software
            Tradition and Innovation in American Organbuilding