Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1993 14:04:59 PST
Enthisuast Horwath admonishes me:

>  I hate to say it, but I think you're really opening yourself
>  to flames with the following....
>
>  ----- Begin Included Message -----
>
>  Trackers are wonderfull gadgets, but the console can not be moved.
>  Churches are no longer safe from vandalism.
>  Tracker consoles are sitting ducks!
>  An electrified console can be wired with
>  a row of amphenol 25 pr PBX connectors so it can be unplugged and rolled into
>  a safe closet.
>
>  ----- End Included Message -----
>
>  You like controversy, eh!  :^)

I apologize to all offended by misunderstanding my ppoint.

It was my intention to be taken as I intended to be taken,
and not start a flame war.
I really hoped that it would not attract controversy.

I think trackers are one of the wonders of the inventiveness of man.
Considering the time the original idea was developed, they belong among
mans greatest achievements.

I have also been witness to the vulnerability of trackers.
You cant roll a tracker console out of the way and as a result many
come to great harm.

I sadly have come to the belief that once a tracker has been bastardized
to the extent of replacing the tracker action with electric, the instrument
may be safer if not restored.

NOTE:  I did NOT say electrify all trackers !
I merely said, "Once the damage is done, consider leaving it as such".

When possible, a console should have a watertight and fireproof closet/vault
it can be secured in.  I know of several consoles that have multilayer steel
(with layers of asbestos in between) boxes to cover their consoles.

Alas, the installation I am working on for my folks, has no such protrection
for the console.  There is no neat way to do it.
The fire protection system for the chamber is still under design.

Perhaps, this will explain where I was coming from in my previous posting.
I cc'd the server to hold off any flame war.
I am tired of finding out "Opus # so&so console burned" or was chopped up
with an axe.

In many cases the chambers are so un accessible, that the organ itself survives
 the attack, but any non portable console is a sitting duck!

Portable consoles have another advantage, every decade or so the finish on the
console needs work.  Wouldnt it be neat to roll the console out to a truck and
have a good finisher do the work and not stink up YOUR sanctuary?

-texx

Robert "Texx" Woodworth

Wurlitzer Opus #1024

                        WURLITZER FOREVER !!!