Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1993 14:46:40 PDT
[log in to unmask]  wrote:

>  On Wed, 14 Apr 1993, Texx wrote:
>
>  > A small determined group of people can topple any PBS station
>  > if they work hard enough!
>
>  I sure hope that's not true!  I'm all for balanced programming, but strong
>  arming and intimidation is precisely how the right-wing extremists are
>  shoving their minority viewpoints down everyone's throat.

I respond:

Sad, but true.  Thats how the system works.

The capers I have been on have either been my trying to fight
rightwing fundies or dealing with brain dead & sometimes grafting PBS managers.

While strongarm tactics are morally wrong, how ELSE do you fight someone who
gets it into his head that he does not want to air your program and invents
lies to back up his arbitrary decision ?

One caper involved the fact that KQED TV in SFO refused to even discuss
our concerns.  Theri mind was made up in advance
(Due to rightwing contributions)
We sucedded in totally disrupting their operations over an entire swingshift.
They couldnt even tape, let alone recieve people or packages at the station.
The coup de grace was when they lost power to both the studio and transmitter.

Now I dont recomend that you resort to such strong-arm tactics.
We were quite lucky to get away with whatever we might have done.

I suggest that you cause them great amounts of grief when their license
comes up for review "What have you done for your comunity?"

I also suggest that you get large amounts of people to write them saying
"I am not sending you money because you refuse to air this program"

Then you go after their sponsors and say
"I just want you to know that the 500 people oin this list have agreed to
deny you their business because you are advertising on this station."

These 3 tactics orchestrated together and carried out simultaneously
will give station management fits!
Also helps to hassle the board of directors too!
When they realize that their funding is drying up at an alarming rate,
and the reason is that their program director has angered viewers,
that program director will be flying out the door butt first !

Take lessons from the "fundies" !  These guys are GOOD at it !
They have pulled some real slimeball stunts lately, and this is how they did it!
Remember the old addage "Nice guys finish last !"