From:
Paul Soderdahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1993 14:10:48 -0600
On Fri, 29 Jan 1993, Texx wrote:

> Well thats your #1 problem, you are underfunded!  You need to convince the res
> of the congregation that the program is underfunded.  Next you need to figure
> out how to make up the funding difference (fundraisers etc)  It is even
> possible that added funding could greatly enhance your program right there!
> Is there not a single music teacher in the entire congregation?
> If you can't afford a paid music director, perhaps you need a volunteer one.
> You seem to have a good idea what is wrong, perhaps as the new music director
> you could correct these problems yourself.  It sounds like generating addition
 al
> funding is your first task.  Most pastors I know, do not hav an objection to
> congregation members brining extra cash into the church program.  It tends to
> lighten their own workload, and as a result, they would be tickled to let you
> do it!

I've not had to fundraise for church music programs but have had to as a
school band director.  Avoid, avoid, avoid.  Principals, like pastors,
will not object but it can really undermine your ability to be viewed as
professional and as an integral part of the program.  Fundraising from
outside implies that you're on the fringe.  And fundraising feeds on
itself -- the more successful the fundraising, the less likely you'll even
get the $15K from the church to begin with.

My advice?  Stick with the "professional" approach -- people don't value
highly what they're getting for free.  I think you'll make you're work (of
acquiring financial support from the church) harder and harder the more
successful it is on a volunteer basis.  Start small -- pick one aspect of
the program and come up with a plan to professionalize it.  Something
small enough that the church can fully fund it according to your plan.
Implement that plan with a timeframe in mind for showing the congregation
that they get what they pay for -- show them, by starting out with a
micro-fix, that funding *will* make a difference.  (Of course, you'll have
to be careful through all this not to put off the volunteers whom you know
are valuable and whom you desparately need.)

Paul A. Soderdahl
Information Arcade
University Libraries
University of Iowa