From:
Keith Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 10:26:05 -0600
Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>   I'd like to eventually build a clavichord.  Can people please post their
>experiences?  Places (I know of
>Zuckerman) which sell the kits?  Anything else relevant?  Thanks!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Charles (goes by Chuck) Wolff's
kits yet.  He makes 3 clavichord kits which he refers to as small,
medium and large.  I don't have his stuff at hand so some of the
following details may be a bit off but not by much.

The small kit is a 45 key double fretted short octave instrument with
Ds and As free.  It weights 30 lbs and goes for $1k.

The medium kit is similar to the small one except no short octave and
it has 56 keys.  Mostly double fretted except the first 7 or so bass
notes are free along with the Ds and As.  It weighs 50 lbs goes for
about $1300.

The large kit is a 63 key unfretted instrument, weighs 70 lbs and goes
for $1600.

All are made of american cherry and come with full hardware complete
with a tuning key.  You have to supply your favorite finish.  The
medium and large kits have turned screw-in legs for stands.  He
charges some $100 to crate a kit and whatever actual shipping is.  The
small kit can go UPS the others go air freight.  Various options
exist, like having him preassemble the case or tossing in ebony and
bone to veneer the keys with, along with accessories like soft or hard
sided cases.  Of course he sells finished instruments (complete with
french polish finish!) but they cost a lot more.  You get a kit some
6-8 weeks after sending him a check for it.

I have not (yet) built, heard or seen any of his kits but have
e-mailed others who have and they're very pleased with them.  But then
the people I know who have built the Z. kits are pleased with them as
well so that's not an unusual comment, apparently.  I have called him
and he's a very nice man to deal with; very unpretentious and comes
across as "just this guy" who happens to know a lot about clavichords.
BTW, he apprenticed under Carl Fudge and carries on his legecy.  His
prices are about 1/2 of Zuckermann's.  As near as I can gather this is
because he has a "real" day job so he doesn't need to make a living
exclusively off them.  To get in touch:

Charles Wolff
44 Loring Street
Hyde Park, MA  02136