From:
"D. Kelzenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 17:18:21 -0500
Hi early keyboard net--

Has anyone else heard the new Erato CD of *unpublished* sonatas of
Domenico Scarlatti?  This is a fascinating collection which gathers
together works from a variety of sources which have been attributed to
Scarlatti with varying degrees of certainty.  Some of the pieces are
admittedly less interesting than others, but Ms. Sone makes a persuasive
case for each in her energetic performances.  I find this recording far
more interesting than her first CD, in which she programmed two Bach
English Suites in undistinguished performances.  A few of these sonatas
have been previously recorded.  One particularly interesting piece is a
Fandango, with some similarities to the well-known similarly-titled work
generally attributed to Soler.  This work is less interesting and shorter
than the "Soler," but very interesting in the context of the other
typically binary sonatas.

This disc makes an interesting complement to the Scott Ross Scarlatti
set, so far (to my knowledge) the only recorded Scarlatti integrale,
although the English artist Gilbert Rowland is some 2/3 of the way towards
completion of his set.

Unfortunately, I don't have it with me at the office, so can't pass on
the record number.  If anyone is interested, I will post it later.

Dave Kelzenberg