HPSCHD-L  July 2016

HPSCHD-L July 2016

Re: Temperaments and Korg tuners etc

Robert Watson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Jul 2016 19:16:38 -0400

Hello all:

I restored a badly built Zuckermann kit (Flemish single low C  to high e)
 with no experience, and just flying by the seat of my pants, when I was
about 21. I made this badly built thing work. And I experimented with
various tunings, and learned about the enharmonic notes by myself with no
help from anyone. Ab =/=G# .... etc.... I went on to become an organ
tuner/installer/voicer, etc for 20 years.  Self taught. Have courage!
Listen. Experiment. Trust your own ears. Read books. Anyone who wants to
can tune.  Throw away your electronic devices and use your brains and ears.
Listen and you will  be edified and understand and it will uplift you in
knowing what you have accomplished. Tuning a harrpsichord is pure pleasure
and once you can do it it goes by fast.  Tuning an organ can be a chore,
but still it is rewarding when it sounds so clear and clean and tight, and
all done by ear.  Have confidence in yourself and learn it.  Electronic
crutches simply weaken us.
Have fun with it, and discover the best!

--
Robert Watson
Ontario, Canada