HPSCHD-L  May 2016

HPSCHD-L May 2016

Re: Best humidity for harpsichord

Bruce Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 May 2016 00:16:51 +0000

Thanks for the controller reference, I should use that in my studio where the stock Honeywell wall controller does a poor job.

But it’s funny, I used to have a tiny little cheap humidifier there  - it’s digital guage and control were SPOT ON! Results vary. Keep shopping. (I ended up buying a Mannix CMM880 calibrated digital hygromter so I konw for sure.)

Years ago, I spoke with Arne B Larson, the former director of the Shrine to Music Museum in South Dakota, with a collection of bowed and plucked string instruments worth tender care. He told me that they could not possibly attempt winter humidity  higher than 35%, for fear of damage to the building. (SD is not as cold as MN, but still…..)

Bruce