From:
Michael Fitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 1994 19:28:42 EDT
             A BIBLIOGRAPHY FOR DIY HARPSICHORD BUILDING

The following bibliography consists of books and articles on do-it-
yourself (DIY) harpsichord building, where the purpose is to give the
amateur craftsman instructions for building a harpsichord.  Scholarly
works that could be used to build harpsichords but do not contain
specific "recipes" (e.g., Hubbard) are not included in this list.  Works
that do not cover building a complete instrument are also not included.

This bibliography has been gleaned from the collections of the Library
of Congress, several major university libraries, and my personal
collection.  I welcome all comments and (especially) additions.

Michael Fitz | [log in to unmask]

BOOKS
=====

Barnes, John:  "Making A Spinet by Traditional Methods",
   Mac & Me, Ltd. Welwyn, Herts (UK), 1985.

Kern, Evan J.:  "Harpsichord Design and Construction"
   Van Nostrand-Reinhold, New York, 1980.

Kr"amer, Gerhard:  "Cembalo und Spinett - selbstgebaut",
   Verlag Merseburger, Kassel, 1980.

Nagel, Konrad:  "Klavizitherium - selbstgebaut",
   Verlag Merseburger, Kassel, 1987.

Schultze, Richard Allen:  "How To Build A Baroque Concert Harpsichord",
   Pageant Press, New York, 1954.

ARTICLES
========

Garrod, Donald: "Single Manual Harpsichord", in Woodworker Magazine,
   Model and Allied Publications Ltd, Bridge Street, Hemel Hempstead,
   Herts (UK) HP1 1EE.

      Part I, April 1973
      Part II, June 1973
      Part III, August 1973
      Part IV, October 1973
      (apparently never concluded...)

Scroggs, James R.: "Build Your Own Italian Harpsichord" in The
   Harpsichord Magazine (now defunct), May/June/July 1971, p. 6-10.

Stevens, Thomas B.: "Building Harpsichords" in Popular Woodworker
   (formerly Pacific Woodworker), EGW Publishing Co., 1300 Galaxy Way,
   Concord, CA 94520 (probably defunct)

      Part I, December-January 1984/1985
      Part II, February-March 1985
      Part III, April-May 1985
      Part IV, June-July 1985
      Part V, August-September 1985

I have a more complete bibliography, including seminal works, in progress.
 Would anybody out there happen to have collected the complete set of
articles by Stevens?  I would be willing to pay the repro & postage costs
for the parts I don't have.

-Mike Fitz