From:
"David G. Schutt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1993 13:35:44 PST
Hi OrganNet:

The initial number of subscribers to PIPORG-L was 47 members, as of
1:30 pm this afternoon we have at least 88 and 8-10 are being added
each day! I'm very excited about the interest all of you have shown.

Here are some autobiographies that have been submitted by early members
of the mailing list, you are encouraged to post something about yourself:

I might as well start with myself just to get this going:

Dave Schutt ([log in to unmask])
---- ------  -----------------
Born: 1935, Lindsay, California
Address: 22 So. Keeble St., San Jose, CA  95126
Telephone: (408) 293-3437
Education: EE, 1957, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA
Occupation: Retired, Pacific Bell Telephone engineering dept.
Member: AES, ATOS (Santa Barbara and Sequoia Chapters),
   MAX Users Group
Computers: Macintosh IIci, IIsi, Dynabook 286
Organs: Hammond X66; 3-manual, 10-rank Robert Morton theater organ
Piano: Steinway Model B, 1891
Musical ability: amateur theater organist
Current projects: Building a Macintosh computer-controlled relay
   for the organ in my home. Possible future commercial value.
   It's almost playing. In fact if I were working on it instead
   of writing this stuff, I would probably have the flute,
   clarinet, trumpet and tibia playing from the Macintosh!
Other interests: Old radios, telephones, collecting sheet music
   from the 1920's-40's

Paul Brown ([log in to unmask])
---- -----  -----------------------
Address: 3405 Wood Glen Court, Rocklin, CA  95677
Telephone: (916) 632-1093
Education: EE, Univ. of California, Davis, CA
Occupation: Engineer, Intel Corp.
Member: AES, ATOS
Computer: NeXT
Organ: 2-manual ??-rank Robert Morton with additions
Piano: Decker grand
Current projects: Building a new house in Rocklin with organ
   chambers for the Robert Morton. The organ has an electronic
   relay of Paul's own design.
Other interests: Audio systems, wife (Sue) and children Nathan
   (age about 14) and Ruth (age about 9)

Herb Huestis ([log in to unmask])
---- -------  -------------------------
FAX: (604) 946-5739
Contributing editor for "The Diapason" magazine

Lou Leciejewski ([log in to unmask])
--- -----------  ------------------
Born: 1947
Address: 117 N. Maple St., Palatine, IL 60067
Phone (work): (708) 979-3382
Occupation: AT&T Bell Laboratories (Long Distance Switching)
Member: ATOS, Electronic Organ Owners Group
        ARRL Amateur Radio (callsign WB9DKY)
Organ: Conn 653
Interests: Getting a MIDI interface for the Conn, active
   follower of Usenet newsgroups, gardening, amateur radio,
   shortwave listening, collecting railroad lanterns & signals

Kevin Scott ([log in to unmask])
----- -----  ---------------------------
Telephone: (716) 235-5688
Member: ATOS
Interests: Planning to build a relay based on an Apple IIe. He
   has a file that describes its architecture in detail if you
   want to know more about it. He is thinking about acquiring
   about a 3/9 theater organ.

Cory Edelman ([log in to unmask])
---- -------  -----------------
Office telephone: (818) 879-6299
Home telephone: (805) 493-0194
Occupation: EEsof, Westlake Village, CA, which produces software
   for computer-aided engineering and design of radio/microwave
   electronics
Member: ATOS (Los Angeles and Santa Barbara Chapters), AGO

Galen Tate ([log in to unmask])
----- ----  --------------
Address: 16 Devon Avenue, Norwalk, CT  06850
Telephone: (203) 849-8990
28-year old professional organist (MMus) and works full-time
   in a New England parish.
Uses FINALE for organ, choral and vocal arrangements and a few
   original compositions

Allan Ontko ([log in to unmask])
----- -----  ------------------------
Born: 1947, in the frozen north, much more comfortable now
President: Ontko & Young Co., Inc., organbuilders
Address: P. O. Box 313, Charleston, SC  29402-0313
Telephone (shop):  (803) 552-8990 (FAX picks up after 6 rings)
Telephone (office): (803) 884-7701 (voice mail after 4 rings)
Member: AIO, ISO, AGO, OHS, EAA, AOPA
   Chairs Guidelines Committee (AIO)
   Board Member of local AGO chapter
Education: BMus, Westminster Choir College (1969)
   Organ study with Charles Dodsley Walker, Wm. Whitehead,
   George Markey
Formerly: Curator of Organs, Radio City Music Hall (mid-70's)
Avocation: Organ & choral composition, looking to get into
   computerized scoring and maybe MIDI)
Current projects: Just completing the tonal finishing and
   nagging mechanical last-minutes on a new 71-rank organ
   at First (Scots) Presbyterian Church in Charleston. David
   Higgs played the opener on October 25. It was a big success
   with an enthusiastic crowd of about 500. Selections included
   Back g-minor Fantasie & Fugue, the Dupre Variations on a Noel,
   and the complete Durufle Suite, Op. 5. Two encores, including
   the C.S. Lang Tuba Tune
Organbuilding Style: Electric-slider action mostly, tonally
   composite Schnitger/Cavaille-Coll/GDHarrison. Yes, it works,
   but you have to hear it to know how . . .;)
Secret Dream: Build a brand-new theatre organ - my way
Also markets OrganCADD software, an add-on menu/symbol library
   system for Generic CADD 6.0
Other interests: Aviation (pilot, part owner of Grumman AA5A
   Cheetah, fringe participation in local flight school), arch-
   itecture, Sci-Fi, GS Kaufman
For Fun: Bulletin boards (Delphi, AOL, CompuServe, Genie),
   Simcity, helping to rebuild an old Piper PA-11 Cub

Bill Vogel ([log in to unmask])
---- -----  ------------
Occupation: System Administrator, BALR Corporation,
   600 Enterprise Drive, Oak Brook, IL  60521
Telephone: (708) 575-8200
Computer: Sun workstation
Interests: Designing and building a pipe organ relay system. The
   whole system is completely modular and flexible. The micro-
   processor board communicates with the slave/magnet driver
   boards via a 360kb serial twisted pair. The slave boards are
   currently in production.
In addition, working on a 16-bit digital sample board for
   reproducing 32' or 16' pedal stops.

Glenn Gentry ([log in to unmask])
----- ------  -----------------------
Address: 216 Ashcot Circle, Jackson, MS 39211
Occupation: teaches microbiology at Univ of MS Medical Center
            System manager for two DEC machines
            Organist-at-large/composer
Organ: Roosevelt Opus 291; of which 4 ranks + parts of two
   others are playing (being judiciously unified to rememble
   the Holtkamp Martini except with more in the pedal). Built
   chests using Kimber-Allen solenoid-type magnets. Devtronix
   generators for the low 12 notes on the 16'. Also help
   maintain a 3-m, 33-r Zimmer at Fondren Presbyterian
Member: Magnolia Chapter, ATOS
        Secretary of the Jackson AGO Chapter
Interests: trying to get an organ program calendar on at least
   three different local networks: Millsaps College, Jackson
   State University, and the University Medical Center. It would
   be nice if there were a central machine somewhere in the
   community that anyone with a modem could access free, but
   that may have to come later. Anyone who has experience with
   this sort of thing, please contact Glenn.

Dave Engelsma ([log in to unmask])
---- --------  -----------------
Interests: construction and finishing of romantic pipe organs

Sam Vause ([log in to unmask])
--- -----  -------------------------------
Born: 1956
Address: 134 Blackhawk Trail, West Columbia, SC 29169
Telephone (work): (803) 739-6078
FAX (work): (803) 739-6079
Telephone (home): (803) 796-6405
Occupation: Works for AT&T's NCR division in Columbia, SC; design,
   build, and support large UNIX system (1 to 8 or more CPUs);
   works in Corporate Customer Services as a senior technical
   analyst.
Member: Organ Historical Society
Organ: Rodgers 760, Conn 650, Baldwin
Interests: heavily into telecommunications TCP/IP, X.25, UUCP ...
   Loved the organ since earliest memories: 2 or 3 years old. Worked
   in Greer, SC, for Conn Organ Division of Kimball International (until
   they closed their doors in 1981)

Al Burfeind ([log in to unmask])
-- --------  ---------------------------------
Occupation: Computer Operations Manager, Trinity College Library

Geoff Greene ([log in to unmask])
----- ------  ---------------------
Occupation: computer programmer and organist

Pete Stewart ([log in to unmask])
---- -------  -------------------
Interests: Started piano lessons earlies this year at age 50
   with the intention of transitioning to organ in the future.
   Always had an abiding love of pipe organ music and a
   fascination with organ technology. If the lessons prove
   fruitful, would so day love to build or restore a small
   chamber organ. In the meantime, trying to learn about
   pipe organ design and construction.
Interest is in the church organ, particularly the "American
   Classic" (ie, G. Donald Harrison) flavor, having honed a taste
   at an early age on a beautifully voiced Aeolian-Skinner
   (Opus 942).

Ed Stauff ([log in to unmask])
-- ------  ------------------------
Interests: organist for 20 years
   experience with amateur organbuilding
   occasionally reads Usenet newsgroups:
     rec.music.makers
     comp.music
     rec.music.synth
   pedal synthesizer: took a spare 30-note pedalboard,
   interfaced it to PC, wrote software to scan the switches
   and generate MIDI data. It even has velocity.
Dream: build a modular master MIDI console

Scott VanOrnum ([log in to unmask])
----- --------  ------------------------------
Occupation: Director of Music and Media,Northville Presbyterian Ch
Organ there: 1990 Casavant, III/45
Computers: Mac Classic, MacLCII
Address: 3638 W. Huron River Dr., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Phone: (313) 930-2616
Education: Interlochen Arts Academy, Eastman School of Music,
   Univ. of Michigan
Organ Instruction: Robert Murphy, David Craighead, Marilyn Mason
Master Classes: Marie-Claire Alain, Gerre Hancock, Robert Baker,
   Robert Clark, Robert Glasgow, James Kibbie, John Walker
Projects: The final semester of Master's degree while starting a
   full-time church position. Getting ready for a (boring,
   conservatory-trained :-) organ recital

Keith Womer ([log in to unmask])
----- -----  --------------------------
Address: 936 Blue Spring Circle, Round Rock, TX 78613
Telephone (work): (512) 331-2293

Bruce Shewitz ([log in to unmask])
----- -------  ---------------------------
Occupation: Associate Curator, Department of Musical Arts
            The Cleveland Museum of Art--concert department
   Organist and music director at a large Reform Jewish temple
            (28-rank Kimball)

Laura J. Silva ([log in to unmask])
----- -  -----  -----------------------
Born: 12/28/1963
Education: BS Chemical Engineering, Washington State University
Occupation: Development Engineer at Battelle Pacific Northwest
   Laboratories. Organist, but doesn't currently hold a position
   because of night school studies
Address: 2624 Harris, Richland, WA 99352
Phone (work): (509) 376-9639
Member: AGO (CAGO)
Interests: On a quest for a tracker organ for home. Would
   like to keep up on what's for sale.
Other interests: traveling with husband (who tolerates the organ
   habit very well) and even went to 1992 AGO convention in
   Atlanta, other church activities, Star Trek fan club

Paul Rutz ([log in to unmask])
---- ----  ------------
Born: 1959
Education: BA, Computer Science, Univ. of Texas, 1981
Occupation: MIS Systems Analyst. MCC, Austin, TX
Member: AGO (sometimes), OHS
Computer: Macintosh IIci
Musical interests: Organist at a Lutheran church since 1982.
   Occasional organ or harpsichord recitals. Studied organ with
   Frank Speller (UT, Austin), Peter Hurford (England) and
   Harold Rutz (dad, organ professor at Concordia College,
   Austin). Do some composing, mostly short chorale preludes.

Jerry W. Akers ([log in to unmask])
----- -  -----  -------------
Occupation: Hewlett-Packard Company
            ICBD Information Technology
            3404 East Harmony Road
            Fort Collins, CO 80525
Telephone:  (303) 229-3487
Organist and organ technician

Doumen Jan ([log in to unmask])
------ --   ------------------
Alias:       DeJean
Born:        1968, Vilvoorde, Belgium
Address:     Wolvertemsesteenweg 210, B-1785 Merchtem, Belgium
Education (music): degrees in Piano, Music History, Theory,
             Chamber Music and Harmony from the Academy of Asse
Occupation:  PhD student in chemistry at the Vrije Universiteit, Brussel
Computers:   IBM-pc's, different UNIX machines (Silicon Graphics, EPIX,
             Sun, Cray), VMS (vax)
Interests:   Early Music (in particular harpsichord and baroque organs)
             Collecting Beer Attributes (Yes, I'm Belgian!)
Instruments: Piano (C. Otto, Austrian, about 100 years old, but still
                    very good)
             Spanish Guitar, different small instruments (e.g. Charango,
             from Bolivia, a real one with armadillo)
             Organ: not yet, that's why I want to join this group.
There are a lot of church organs in my neighbourhood, one is even
protected by law, so in the near future I'll play one of them ;-)

Burley Salmon ([log in to unmask])
------ ------  ---------------------------
Senior year organ major at Millsaps College, Mississippi

Kevyn Collins-Thompson ([log in to unmask])
----- ----------------  ------------------------
Interest: tracker organs

Louw F. Talstra ([log in to unmask])
---- -  -------  ---------------------------
Pronounced: Louw sounds like "loud" -- Groeten uit Nederland
Occupation: For many years working in the computer division of Philips
  (a Dutch-based electronics company), but about one year ago Philips
  "sold" that entire division to Digital Eq Co. Still has a reasonable
  number of years to go before retirement, but not 25 anymore (sigh)
Address:   Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Telephone: +31 55 432099
Musical interests: Amateur church organist. Also the regional secretary
  of an association of (mainly amateur) church organists and as such
  organizes meetings, excursions, etc.

Ben Chi ([log in to unmask])
--- ---  --------------
Occupation: Director, Computing and Network Services
Address:    SUNY, The University at Albany, Albany, NY 12222
Telephone:  (518) 442-3700
FAX:        (518) 442-3697
Worked for an obscure organ builder (Neill & Johnson, Montclair, NJ)
  while in college in the early 1950's. Neill & Johnson had the maintenance
  contracts (read "tunings") for nearly every organ in the area. I took
  my turn laying a bearing.
Ben's uncle is Bill Exner, who an active organ buff in Seattle.
He and friends have restored several theater organs, as I recall.

Robert Woodworth ([log in to unmask])
------ ---------  -------------
I use the name "Robert" very seldom.
To everyone including the phone co I am texx with 2 x's

Born 1957, Berkeley CA
%Canyon Crest
600 Coventry Rd
Kensington, CA 94707

Occupation:     UNIX System Administrator / Network Engineer, Contractor
Computers:      I have MAC, PC, several UNIX boxes.
Talents:        Im more of an organ tech as my playing ability is in woodwoinds
and percussion.
Current projects:
Installing Wurlitzer opus#1024 (Los Angeles Wabash) at same address
Rebuilding my caliope (Unknown history of instrument)
Restoring and building new case for my "Cornish" reed pump organ circa 1890's

Dave