Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1993 15:47:00 PST

> What?!?! I thought that stuff was supposed to last
> a couple of centuries!!!!  ;^)
>
> A CATOE organ team I was a part of a few years ago
> was rebuilding a Moller that had Perflex. As I recall,
> it required very tedious & careful hand sanding to get
> it off.

They tested perflex for number of flexxes it could handle and extrapolated time
 from
those figures.

The organ Ernie Wilson (in 1983) installed in the Grand Lake Theatre, Oakland
 CA,
had at its core 9 ranks that had been done in perflex about 6 years before.
The perflex had already turned white and the perflex barely survived long enough
for the dedication (1983, July 4) before pneumatics began blowing out.

It turns out that perflex has a definite shelf life even if it is not flexed.

One advantage of using the origial method of hot hide glue and leather:
I can strip pneumatics with a hairdryer!
As soon as the glue gets warm enough, the glue lets loose and the old leather
 peels
off neatly yielding a pattern to use if you need it.

Organ man Ed Millington Stout III : "Farney knew it best! Do it the old way!"

-texx                                   "I speak severely to my little vax
                                           and boot it when it crashes!"