From:
"K. D. Chun" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1993 18:28:53 EST

>           Hi.  I am a newbie to this list (a synthesist who was
>           trained on an Allen organ some over years ago), but if I
>           correctly interpret the phrase "chop-chop playing" to refer
>           to that abhorrent sempre staccato style that some folks use
>           all the time, even on hymns, then I gladly join the
>           anti-chop hotheads.

I am sorry to hear that you trained on an A***n toaster, how many
slices was it?  Two, three or four  ?
>           By the way, the current thread on expressiveness is doubly
>           fascinating to me in that modern synthesizers are directly
>           descended from organs.  Do any of y'all have opinions on the
>           integration of MIDI with theater and church organs?  Do you
>           see a place in organ technology for velocity or aftertouch
>           as expressive aids (e.g., kick in a tremulant with a little
>           extra pressure on the manual)?

MIDI, Yea, we've opinions here at Penn..We have a MIDI on our organ
here for 162 ranks et al.. Designed and built in house.. full duplex
installed 1988-1989

To us the synth/midi stuff is nothing really new, it's just an electronic
form of stuff already done on the organ. With regard to 2nd touch et al
our dream console would have the trems assignable to 2nd touch. but real
'organ' second touch with a pluck point.

The best part have been the times when we force 'organist' to listen
to their own playing right after they've just played.. We did this to
a gathering at a regional convention of the AGO in july of 1989 or so.
OOPS - suddenly people became real scared of playing and hearing what
they sounded like (loud, chop chop, bad phrasing et al).  Here we've
been using it to set new standards for performance.  It is a really
good tool to hear yourself via the pipes rather than the audio tapes
Oh, yes it was a real shock to hear myself for the first time.  It forced
me to rethink how I played the organ ...

anyway...synths will help a new generation of people become interested
im music at what ever level, so, I would encourage their usage..

Kevin
The Curtis Organ Restoration Society.. u of penna.

for of things that have already been done on the organ