From:
"Tavaglione, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1993 16:46:11 EST
Re: Pipe Organ Awareness and Appreciation

     I have been enjoying this list immensely since the first
hour I signed on!  This note is in response to several comments
regarding the unfortunate demise of organ departments in universities
throughout the nation and the general lack of enthusiasm for pipe
organs in the public sector.  These two facts are closely coupled.
I would like to make one suggestion that might help to make your local
public a trifle more aware of the beauty and marvel of pipe organs.

     Here in Morgantown, WV, we have a few nice (nothing spectacular)
organs. Since most people only see or hear one or two organs in
their normal daily lives, I thought it would be nice if we could
"tour" the city organs with a mini-recital at each one.  I
contacted several church organists and they were very receptive of
the idea.  So, I scheduled a number of churches over several weeks
to be visited one at a time.  Our church was first.  I prepared
an overhead transparency of a "typical" organ and briefly described
how all the gadgets were used to produce the unique sound that is
a pipe organ.  I also had several pipes with which to demonstrate
the various sounds obtainable at the same pitch and to show
the variety of pipe construction- wood, metal, different
scales, etc.  Our church organists then demonstrated miscellaneous
stops/combinations and played a short recital.  We then announced
which church was next on the tour the following week.

     This idea went over very well and everyone who attended
(unfortunately, only a few dozen) got to hear several organs in
this town and in a couple of nearby towns that they might otherwise
never have heard.  I would like to hear from anyone who tries
this idea- and if you are close enough, I will attend!

     I have been watching the pipe organ arena (for lack of a better
description) for more than 50 years.  I find it very difficult to
believe that anyone hearing a pipe organ would not be absolutely in
awe of that beautiful sound!  My first experience was in a small
church in a coal minig town in Pennsylvania- probably by far the
most common first "exposure."  My interest was really heightened,
however, when I was enrolled in Girard College in Philadelphia
(an orphanage, not an institution of higher learning) where
they have a magnificent Aoelian Skinner organ dating back to 1932.
(Carlo Curley was organist there several decades after I left- I
only got to hear him play on that instrument one Founder's Day.)
I must give credit where it is due:  our organist/choir master was
Harry Clay Banks.  Every Sunday evening we had a recital by
Mr. (later Dr.) Banks who would describe various parts of the
organ.  Unfortunately, the organ could not be seen- it was
located above the very high ceiling of the chapel.  The console
was located in the middle of the choir area at the front of the
chapel.  I thoroughly enjoyed that introduction to the most
magnificent musical instrument ever devised.  Many thanks,
Dr. Banks, wherever you are!