From:
Larry Kent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 1994 06:27:03 EDT
Thanks for the welcome. I can't wait for this list to get up and running.
I had never heard of PIPORG-L before reading it in the post announcing
that this list was up. Since I'm a harpsichordist, not an organist, so
that part is okay.

My background, etc.: I began studying harpsichord in undergraduate
school (Va. Commonwealth Univ. in Richmond) when I needed a secondary
performing medium for my piano performance major. About six years ago
I bought and built a Hubbard French double (also after the Taskin 1769)
which I still own and play, but not often enough. I'm currently about
a year away from receiving my DMA in composition at the Univ. of South
Carolina, where most of my time is spent learning to be a better
composer and conductor while teaching lots of theory to undergrads,
but I do get a chance to play solo recital maybe once or twice a
year, in addition to some continuo work.

In the world of harpsichord playing, I suppose chamber music, continuo
accompaniment, etc., is my main interest of the moment. I'm doing a
little study comparing how various modern artists put into practice
the "accepted rules" of this art - always room for more ideas, so if
any of you have good ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm concentrating
for the moment on the work of Igor Kipnis and Trevor Pinnock, mainly
because they've done so much recording it's relatively easy to figure
out what their thoughts are on some of these matters. Others I plan
to cover in my study are Leonhardt, Cooper, Gilbert, perhaps some of
the ones I call conductor/players - Leppard, Harnoncourt, etc.

Thanks again for a list that should be quite interesting as it grows.

-LK