Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1993 10:11:53 PST
>  I have been looking at some possible other vendors of blowers, beyond
>  the "organic" ones.  A vendor has some interesting devices, but the
>  only noise level data is in dB.  Are values like "80db 5 feet from the
>  blower intake" indicative of tremendous (non-mufflable) noise?  Perhaps
>  Kevin's request for info on db meters could be extended from the area
>  of pipe sound volume to blower sound volume as well.  (Did that make sense??)
>
>  Anyway, info on dB meters and on alternative blowers would be welcome.
>
>  Larry Chace ([log in to unmask])

DB meters used for blower noise analysis seems much more apropriate
than for voicing.  Again placement of the meter at the listening area
is the best way to go.  For safety, perhaps noise levels at the blower
itself might be interesting.
Heres a wierd one:
Sometimes you have a loud blower that is less noticable to the
listeners tyhan a quiet one.
Why?
The characteristics of the noise may make the louder one easier to
muffle than the quieter.

My experience with Spencers is that there is a scream like the starting
of a jet engine while you start it.  After that, on a well balanced
Spencer I only notice a roar of air.

My experience with Kinetic blowers is that they start quieter, and I hear
a rattling banging sound more that I notice the rush of air.
I have never found a physical reason than a Kinetic rattles and bangs,
it just does.

The list goes on...

The best tool you got is those funny things on the sides of your head!

-texx

Robert "Texx" Woodworth

Wurlitzer Opus #1024

                        WURLITZER FOREVER !!!