Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1993 16:44:05 PST
> Some folks many not be aware of the fact that old PERFLEX is WATER
> Soluable!!!!.  We have removed perflex by soaking the parts in plain old
> water (only when you can) for a day or so.  Then the stuff rolls off
> like rubber cement does when you rub it alot..

WATER ???!!!!???

Did you he WATER ?
Did he say soak them for a day ?

Water and wood dont mix.  After a day of soaking in water, the wood will never
 be the same
and definitely no longer "organ quality".

Tell me, do you attach chest bottom boards with nails too?

>For pouch boards like
> the ones I am faniliar with -- use a planer or a belt sander  --
> BE  VERY CAREFUL to preserve the dimensions of your wood !!
> Sanding in my experience has required two grades of paper
> A course grade for 'scraping removal' and a finer grit to restore the
> wood to a smooth surface...

NOPE!

The "cold" glues impregnate the wood sufficiently, that to get a good adhesion
with proper organ glue when you bebuild,
you actually have to sand the wood down to smaller than original dimension!

> Aren't you happy that in your work you have selected to use water based
> glues and natural materials :-)
>
> Just wait until you try to undo SOBO, Carpenters and White Glues!!!
> It's enough to make you go electronic!!!!  :-)

People using those glues on organs should be stuffed in to the intake of a
running 25 horse spencer!

Organs are designed to be torn down every 25 yrs or so for rebuild.
NEVER USE PERMANENT ADHESIVES !

If I seem to be coming on a little strong, its because I have had to deal with
too many projects that have been bungled.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have been guilty of a few of these mistakes
 myself
and have retreated to the methods proven over the last half dozen centuries for
 organ
standards.

I ruined a regulator with water stripping, once and will never water strip
 again.
The only place for water in organ building, is in the bucket you mop the chamber
 floors with,
(please dont spil it...hehehe!) the coffee pot and the THOROUGHLY WRUNG OUT
 cloth you wipe
things down with.

While I am shooting off my big mouth....
Nails are for amateurs!  Framing should be done with bolts.
Sometimes it becomes necessary to "unframe" during a rebuild or maintenance and
 nails are
stupid.  Carriage bolts are fabulous for this.

//\\ .. //\\            Flamethrower off!

-texx                                   "I speak severely to my little vax
                                           and boot it when it crashes!"