From:
"D. Kelzenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 23:00:55 -0500
On Wed, 5 Oct 1994, Manuel Op de Coul wrote:

> Will Wu <[log in to unmask]> wrote to the PIPORG-L list:
 > > >Congratulations on your new list. When I first saw the subject, I
 > >thought it was a mailing list devoted to fans of John Cage's "HPSCHD"!
 > >Hey, stranger lists have been formed!

> I had the same thought because HPSCHD was recently performed in Holland,
> on 3 and 4 April to be precise and later broadcast on radio.
> The piece was written by John Cage andLejaren Hiller (who died earlier
> this year). It's for seven harpsichords and tapes in all equal temperaments
> from 5 to 56 tones per octave. It's also on LP: Nonesuch LP H-71224.
> If you go to Muziekcentrum De IJsbreker in Amsterdam you can get a
> free HPSCHD poster!

 > > Manuel Op de Coul

> Hey!  I'd like the poster!  It's a bit too far for me to travel at the
moment, however.

In fact, I picked HPSCHD for the name of this list for several reasons:
1. Although I want to discuss all early stringed keyboard
instruments, the harpsichord is the most known and visible of these
instruments, at least at the present time.
2. HPSCHD seems the most logical 6-letter contraction of "harpsichord",
and 3. I knew of the Cage work, and thought people would make the
connection to the instrument more easily using that combination.  (I
have, however, never heard the work. Is it interesting?)

Dave Kelzenberg