Before flames, I did the following operation to a harpsichord that I made in 1972 on commission, and later bought back from the unhappy client. I used it for rental in NYC after moving here, and the sound improved a lot as it was played through the years.
It had an apparent BB-d3 compass, and was always tuned to GG/BB short octave. Barbara often tuned one Eb string to Eb and just used one jack or the other for that note.
Since our recent experience with the Viennese short octave adaptation on the boat virginal, she has been keeping that old hpschd tuned the same way, but without split keys to give F# and G#. The harpsichord is too narrow to add notes as I did with V2.0 of the spinet, and I had pretty much given up. . . until I remembered the single-string Eb trick.
I suggested splitting the F# and G# keys, leaving D and E in front, with one jack playing from each half of the split key, and gave her a couple of weeks to think about it. She agreed, and the deed is done.
The new keylevers going to the rear jacks for D and E are very narrow. I made them of white oak that I have had since the mid 70s, so they are strong and stable. A lot of whittling to eliminate interference while keeping as much wood as possible.
Now the larger harpsichord has the same notes as the boat virginal, and all the plucked instruments in the apartment and one of the clavichords, all have C/E with splits or without. The Obici is the only one without F# and G#.
Please send emails to
rodneym (AT) alumni (DOT) tufts (DOT) edu
with obvious corrections.