From:
"K. D. Chun" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1993 09:36:50 EST
> Hi OrganNet:
> Here's an article that Sam Vause found in his newspaper on
> December 7, 1992. Now that we have some subscribers to the
> OrganNet who have some influence at Notre Dame, I thought we might
> get some additional information about the *computerized* keyboards
> there.

What is the newspaper or journal??

> "The stone vaults of Notre Dame cathedral rang Sunday to the music
> of a full organ for the first time in two years as the church's
> newly restored instrument came home, complete with computerized
> keyboard.

That's true, they used their choir organ of about 27 ranks and it
is strong enough to acompany 7,000 people singing Mass

The place holds about 9,500 from what I was told when I was visting
there last week..

> "About 3,000 people heard the music at morning Mass in the first
> of a week of concerts celebrating the organ's return.
>
> "The $2.1 million restoration blended high-tech technology (sic)
> with the original 7,800 pewter (?!?!) pipes, installed in the
> 1860's."

The organ by no means is historic, it has been tweaked and altered
about 4 or 5 times...don't  be fooled if you are a true museum restoration
advocate.  The keying is managed by a 486 processor -  I don't think that
spells tracker/barker levers.  There are two slave type processors  - one
in the chest and one in the console ( which they call Anglo-American style)
( a drawknow job on jambs like Aeolian-Skinners).. a 486 manages the keying
and combo action and another handles the MIDI processing..

The organ in my opinion lacks any substantial 8 line when all is going
full tilt.. lots of out of tune reeds for the money.. the chamades are
SPANISH instyle..

BTW - there is one faction of French/ French organ historical fans that
DISPISE this organ...

Kevin