From:
Justin Renquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 1994 15:57:38 -0500
Steve:

Harpsichords do require much more maintenance than a piano - don't be
fooled! They require tuning fairly often, depending on the climate
conditions of where you live etc. If you live in an area where weather
conditions such as humidity, temperature vary greatly and change quickly,
you'll find yourself tuning pretty often. Tuning is not difficult as on a
piano - it can be done in about 15-30 min. once you get the hang of your
isntrument and the strings tend to "remember" where they sould be if you
keep it tuned properly.

Harpsichords are definitely not meant for people who can't spend time tuing
etc. They are quite temperamental isntruments, hence part of their intrinsic
quality. Harpsichordists generally not only play their instruments but
become very profiient in the mechanics as well, unlike most pianists!

Good luck! Let me know if you need more advice etc.

Hint: the simpler the harpsichord, the simpler (i.e., less tiem consuming)
the tuning process! A Flemish single manual with 1x8 and perhaps 1x4
dispositions are quite easy. French doubles with 2x8 and 1x4 are a little
more time consuming etc...

Learning historical temperaments is fun too! Most harpsichords are nto tuned
to equal temperament since this is not historically correct, and music
written for the harpsichord was not mean to sound in equal temperament...

A fellow harpsichordist,

Justin