It's not only MacTgrt !
Hemsch 1761 (Musée de la Musique, Paris, E.974.3.1) :
See also other pictures in "Les Clavecins" (Mercier-Ythier) of :
- Blanchet 1746 (Château de Versailles)
- Hemsch 1754 (Wolfgang Ruf, Rastatt, Allemagne ?)
- P. Bellot "Le Père" 1729 (Chartres).
All these instruments have cabriolet (Louis XV) stand and large (around 1
inch) gold banding on the cheek and bentside.
In addition, some paintings
- Jean-Philippe Rameau painting (Chantilly)
- Mozart playing harpsichord with his father and his sister
- and many other paintings in Condé museum in Chantilly,
show similar type of decoration.
I think it's enough to guess this kind of decoration was "à la mode" mid-