From:
Timothy Tikker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 21:59:57 -0800
Dave Kelzenberg wrote--

> BTW, has *everyone* had the following experience, or am I the only one?
>
> At a party, I was conversing with a woman, who was fascinated when I told
> her that I played harpsichord.  She said, "We have a wonderful old
> harpsichord up in the attic.  It's an old antique,....
>
> Of course, a little more conversation brought the realization that she
> was talking about an autoharp, not a harpsichord.

Yes, I have had a similar experience.  I got a call from a music teacher
in a small town here in Oregon who asked me if I tuned harpsichords (yes)
- she had gotten my name from the University. I asked her what make of
instrument it was - she said she didn't know, but had two of them. (Two
harpsichords in a rural Oregon school? - that made me suspicious). I asked
how large they were and she said "about 20 inches by 30" - so then I knew
what she was talking about.  I informed her that these were in fact
autoharps, that the harpsichord was totally different.  "Oh, what is it
then?"  and I explained in a nutshell what a harpsichord was.  "Oh, I
never knew that!"  (This is from a certified (!?) music teacher?).
Anyway, she did bring them by and I tuned them and reglued fallen off pads
on one that otherwise would've worked well for Crumb's Banshee.

Julia Harlow