From:
Joseph Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 12:44:41 -0800
You wrote:

>This discussion of harpsichord tuning has been very interesting, but as
>viola da gamba player who does a lot of continuo work I'd like to know
>what you experienced tuners do when you'll be working with fretted
>instruments like viols or theorbos?  Do you have any favorite
temperaments
>that work well for particular repertoires?  How much fret adjustment do
>your associates have to do?
>
>---Paul Johnson

Yes, of course this comes up.  Normally the tuner (who would ordinarily
be the harpsichordist, a member of the ensemble) consults with the group
to establish a kind of group protocol; there is no single good answer,
so the group has to establish how they're going to handle such
questions, on a case by case basis, ultimately.  If there's no
opportunity to consult, and the repertoire is 18th c. baroque, I'd
normally leave a Werckmeister III, a good safe temp. that most players
can get along with.

Joseph Spencer