From:
Martin Hasch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1993 16:48:06 +0100
Hello OrganNet:

In a recent post, "K. D. Chun" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > anyway...synths will help a new generation of people become interested
> > im music at what ever level, so, I would encourage their usage..

Whereupon Texx <[log in to unmask]> answered:
> I fear not.  Synths will keep up the interest in keyboard music, but I seldom
> See synths become pipe fans.
> I am bombarded (pun?) by synth users who say
> "What do you mess with those pipes for?  I can get anything I want outta
> my Yamaha...."

Don't panic, Texx, i think there still is some hope.  I, for one, would stand
up as a synth player who eventually became a dedicated pipe organ fan.  I have
been experimenting a lot with the possibilities offered by electronic
 instruments
and do appreciate their versatileness in sound which is reached by none other
instrument at all.  The multitude of different sounds and sound effects, that
 is.

BUT, if it comes to the acoustic quality, not to mention beauty, of those
 sounds,
that's an altogether different matter.  I doubt if any subscriber will argue
 that.

The problem with synth players, IMO, is that (a) 99 percent of them don't make
use of 99 percent of their instrument's capabilites, refraining themselves to
recalling or only slightly modifying predefined patterns (i therefore expect
they would make poor registrators, too); and (b) they (as well as anyone else
 who
is not a church musician) in these days seldom get exposed to our peculiar organ
literature, which otherwise could do quite a lot to increase one's ethusiasm...

--
|  Martin Hasch  |  Internet: [log in to unmask]  |  (o ) /  (o )  |