From:
"D. Kelzenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 1995 20:24:53 -0500
On Sat, 15 Apr 1995, SCN User wrote:

> Hello - I would say that anyone tackling the Bach Chromatic Fantasy
> and Fugue should seek out Colin Tilney's disc of fantasias - I have
> it as Archive LP 2533 326.

I'll second Calhoun's endorsement of this fine recording, done on a huge
Hass triple-strung clavichord.  There just aren't enough good clavichord
recordings in the world!

That said, I'll risk redundancy by saying that everyone should hear
Landowska's 1930s recording of this piece.  Nathan Broder, in comparing a
number of recorded performances of the work, said:

"There is something to be said for every one of these performances.  It
is simply the misfortune of... these artists that they are up against one
of the great Bach performances of our time, one that belongs, in the
reviewers opinion, among the dozen best keyboard recordings ever made...
No one approaches Landowska,,,Dramatic impact, unceasing eloquence, an
improvisatory quality making each event sound new and unexpected,
together with an over-all planning and control that keep the piece
building up to the tragic power of the final measures [of the
fantasy]--these are some of the elements of [this] incomparable reading."

Shucks, couldn't have said it better myself.  It's out on an EMI CD,
coupled with THE Italian Concerto and her 30s Goldbergs:  EMI CDH
7610082.  Check it out, if you haven't heard it.  (But stay away if you
don't like the 16'!)

Dave