Help for PIPORG-L Archives

PIPORG-L Archives

PIPORG-L@LIST.UIOWA.EDU

PIPORG-L Home

PIPORG-L  May 2005, Week 3

PIPORG-L May 2005, Week 3

Re: does a small church need a bigger organ

robertelms <[log in to unmask]>

robertelms <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 May 2005 21:29:02 +0800

Margo, the more modern organs in my region, even sopme that are only a few
ranks, generally have a swell with a chorus reed and the full swell will
just about match the great. Even on the 6 rks ext. instrument that I play,
on full organ with the box shut the swell is barely heard but when I open
the swell box the swell comes up behind the great with a full throated
roar!!! Great!
The older organs, often by English builders of the 19th C., the swell reed
was usually an Oboe. Not nearly as effective as Cornopean or Trumpet.
BE.