From:
"D. Kelzenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 18:04:55 -0500
Hi harpsichord net!

A while back, we had an interesting discussion on PIPORG-L about an old
78 RPM record, with the above title, which came out in the 1950s.  It was
a children's record, designed to introduce kids to the sound of these
keyboard instruments and their differences, and included an
anthropomorphised argument between the piano and the harpsichord,
regarding which was "better."  In the end, they became friends and played
"The Old Grey Mare" as a duet.  The harpsichord part was played by Sylvia
Marlowe.

The interesting thing was that a number of harpsichord people of "my
generation" :-(  KNEW of that record, and it was a seminal influence in
terms of their eventual career and/or hobby choices.  (Besides myself,
the list includes Ed Parmentier, Larry Palmer, Willard Martin, and others.)

Does anybody else know of or remember that fun recording?  Was it a part
of any of our other subscribers' childhoods?

Dave Kelzenberg
U. of Iowa