From:
"K. D. Chun" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1993 18:43:24 EST

> What?!?! I thought that stuff was supposed to last
> a couple of centuries!!!!  ;^)
>
> A CATOE organ team I was a part of a few years ago
> was rebuilding a Moller that had Perflex. As I recall,
> it required very tedious & careful hand sanding to get
> it off.
>
> Hopefully, someone can suggest an easier way.
>
> -George

Some folks many not be aware of the fact that old PERFLEX is WATER
Soluable!!!!.  We have removed perflex by soaking the parts in plain old
water (only when you can) for a day or so.  Then the stuff rolls off
like rubber cement does when you rub it alot..  For pouch boards like
the ones I am faniliar with -- use a planer or a belt sander  --
BE  VERY CAREFUL to preserve the dimensions of your wood !!
Sanding in my experience has required two grades of paper
A course grade for 'scraping removal' and a finer grit to restore the
wood to a smooth surface...

Aren't you happy that in your work you have selected to use water based
glues and natural materials :-)

Just wait until you try to undo SOBO, Carpenters and White Glues!!!
It's enough to make you go electronic!!!!  :-)

Kevin Douglas Chun
The Curtis Organ Restoration Society/ U of Pa