From:
Lee Ridgway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1993 15:03:59 EST
> From: Texx <[log in to unmask]>
> You won't find many women in the pipe organ world.
> This is a very chauvanistic world that few women feel welcome in.
> I do not condone this attitude, but I see it all the time, nontheless.

I don't think the chauvanism against women you speak of is true in New England.
Maybe this is because a few women, like Barbara Owen, were part of the
 development
of the shops that started springing up in the region in the 50s and 60s. Of
 course,
these were small firms, the basis for the mechanical-action and classical organ
revival, for the most part. By nature, the people involved were more interested
 in
fine craftswork and a committment to fine instruments. Now, it would not
 surprise me
to learn that women were not welcome in the Aeolian-Skinner factory, but that
 was an
entirely different entity than what we have today.