Help for PIPORG-L Archives

PIPORG-L Archives

PIPORG-L@LIST.UIOWA.EDU

PIPORG-L Home

PIPORG-L  June 2004, Week 4

PIPORG-L June 2004, Week 4

Re: Justin Kramer "Screechophone" [x-posted]

Pieter Visser <[log in to unmask]>

Pieter Visser <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:52:23 -0500

I knew Justin for many years,  he was a delightful man with lots of
interesting ideas.I remember when I first stepped of the plane in December 9
1959 I was hired by Val Holzinger also a delightful man  but NO organ
builder.  Val was a String Voicer for Robert Morton.  His skills where quite
good there. His organbuilding skills and ideas where ..........well lets
just say not so wonderful.
In those days  they all build screechephones  Even A/S  I don't care what
anyone said  it was all Lousy!!!!!!!!!!!!  NO EXCEPTIONS.  I just wanted to
get back on the airplane and go back to Holland.   One thing stopped
me.............I LOVED THE USA It has been a struggle for the past 49 years
to make organs here in less then ideal rooms, with a Mirada of options of
idiot consultants and a pendulum that only knows extremes.  Yes we are in a
phase now that wont last either with some builders building megaphones.

Today I would still be on top of the heap if it where not for some very
crooked churches and a stupid, ignorant, destructive, vicious, unfounded,
lawsuit which was settled  but cost 300K and touched and almost destroyed
the lives of some 30 people.

Yet here comes the wonderful USA with its sickness of lawyers.  But I still
love it because I can still make it and build many more organs that work for
church and liturgies.

By the way this November I will have been an organ builder for 50 years.  It
was good to know people like Justin and Val and many more that tried to
build what they thought was right and wonderful.  Money was never their
goal.  they simply loved there dreams and what they did.  They were and are
what this country is all about.  We can say negative things about them, but
we must remember  others will do that about us also at some point.  Pieter