PIPORG-L Archives

PIPORG-L@LIST.UIOWA.EDU

PIPORG-L Home

PIPORG-L  May 2004, Week 1

PIPORG-L May 2004, Week 1

Senior Recital

"Douglas A. Campbell" <[log in to unmask]>

Douglas A. Campbell

Sat, 1 May 2004 14:22:07 -0400

The program said: "Eighty-Ninth Student Recital, Thursday, April 29,
2004, Field Concert Hall, 8 p.m." Doesn't sound particularly significant,
does it?
Actually, it was an historic event. A "Rite of Passage" for a performer
who will surely leave a major mark on the world of music.
Felix Hell is graduating from the Curtis Institute of Music and this was
as much a celebration of that graduation as it was an academic recital.
At 18 years old, he is the youngest organ student to ever receive a BM
degree from the school founded by Mary Louise Curtis Bok in 1924. The
graduates of Curtis are legendary and next week Felix will be joining
that august group. But on Thursday, Felix was a tad nervous with the
preparations for the recital and the finals of his other classes.
I left Skaneateles about 1:30 for the drive to Philadelphia. The sun was
shining, it was warm and a very pleasant drive. Never having been there
before, I was pleased that my computer mapping program got me into the
heart of Philadelphia without problems. Arriving just before six, I found
a place to park in a garage about 3 blocks away and started up Locust St.
to the Curtis building. A few doors from my destination I met Mike
Gettleman, who had driven in from Cleveland earlier in the afternoon and
as we were standing talking, Hans and Olga Hell walked up on their way to
the recital, as well.
Amidst all the tall skyscrapers of downtown Philadelphia, the Curtis
Institute seems even smaller than it is. Could this diminutive building
actually house such a famous institution? Entering the lobby, the grand
staircase, fireplace, and ornate wood carvings looked more like a grand
residence than a school, until you noticed the grand pianos in almost
every corner ! Behind the reception’s desk was a hallway that led to the
Field Concert Hall. At it’s entrance I was greeted by Curtis Student
Todor Stefanov Popstoyanov, from Bulgaria, a friend of Felix’s and a
French Horn student of Jerome Ashby. It was heartening to see that fellow
students volunteered their time to help with each other’s recitals and a
brief conversation with Todor proved that he, too, is an exceptional
young man.
The Field Concert Hall is quite a shock, if you've never seen it. It is
TINY ! Maybe 30 x 60 feet, with wood paneled walls. Behind these walls,
seemingly everywhere, were the 120 ranks of the 5 manual Aeolian Skinner
organ. A lot has been said of the Organ at Curtis, most of it rather
uncomplimentary. I can only describe it as the "Dragon in the closet".
It’s huge, it has scales, it can breath fire and it does sound like its
crammed into the closet (probably because it is). Also in that small room
you really wouldn't want to let it out ! I found the room odd in that the
"stage" is set on the long wall the room and there are organ chambers all
around the room.
Felix chose to approach this room differently than the norm, by having
the console placed on floor on one of the short walls effectively
"turning " the room 90 degrees. This change, combined with Felix’s well
documented ability to find perfect registrations, led to a most enjoyable
experience in a very difficult acoustic. Did I mention that the room is
also very dry? There was not even the hint of vermouth to be found !
The program was:
Fantasy and Fugue in G minor, BWV 5642 - Bach
"O Mensch, bewein dein Sunde Gross", BWV 622 - Bach
Sonata in D minor, Op.65, No. 2, Mendelssohn
Fantasy in F minor, K. 608 - Mozart
(Intermission)
Fantasy and Fugue on "Ad nos, ad salutarem undam" - Liszt
None of this music was new to me and, in fact, I have heard Felix play
all of it on multiple instruments, so this was an opportunity to hear
what Felix would do with a very difficult instrument/acoustic
combination. I always learn something at every Felix Hell concert and
this was no exception. The lesson on this night was just how differently
he approached the repertoire to get the most out of it musically in that
space. We talk about "reverberation rate" and "live" versus "dry", well,
Field Hall has NO reverberation rate at all and its as dry as a desert.
The sound just STOPPED almost before the keys were released. Yet, by his
adjustments in articulation, and even basic approach, Felix was able to
coax the very best from the music and proved once again that he is the
"master of the long line".
Although the audience was not huge, there were many recognizable faces in
the crowd, including several of Felix’s professors and Robert
Fitzpatrick, Dean of Curtis. It was also nice to talk to Donald
Sutherland again, who traveled from Peabody, where Felix will be studying
next year. List members Mike Gettleman, from Cleveland, Neil Carlson,
from Minnesota, Jack Clotsworthy, and Paul Marchesano were also there as
well. Michael Noble from St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Hanover, PA was
also attended and told us that the new high pressure trumpet recently
installed at St. Mark’s had been placed in honor of Felix’s graduation
from Curtis and is named the "Hellvecian Trumpet’. This is the church
where Virgil Fox was the organist in 1934 and 1935.
Following a reception, Olga Hell, very tired from her long trip, retired
and Hans led a group of us to a local establishment which served real
German beer on tap ! All too quickly, it was time to "hit the road" for
the 4-1/2 hour drive back to Central New York.
I have heard Felix play better instruments. I have heard Felix play
instruments that were, frankly, worse. What made this a memorable
performance was Felix’s "outside the box" approach to achieve very
musical results and the marking of major milestone in his developing
career.

Note:  opinions  expressed on PIPORG-L are those of the  individual con-
versity at Albany.  For a brief  summary of list  commands, send mail to
[log in to unmask]  saying  GET LSVCMMDS.TXT  or see  the  web
page at http://www.albany.edu/piporg-l/lsvcmmds.html .