From:
HERBERT W TINNEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1993 23:40:01 -0400
I remember as a kid -- years ago (too many!) -- being enamoured of large
instruments.  And, it was fun -- playing recitals at St John the Unfinished
(NYC), Washington Cathedral, and so on.  But somewhere along the way I seemed
to grow out of it -- the realities of upkeep costs, tuning problems where
divisions were spread out all over the map, continually trying to justify "one
of everything in the catalog" approaches to design with price per rank soaring
to $12,000-plus, and on and on.  Who was it (one of the English builders of a
few generations ago?) who said something along the lines of "...just one
well-voiced diapason..." -- ?  #:-)  Cheers!  Herb Tinney