Re: Church Employment

Thomas Bazzoon <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:52:33 -0800

Dear List,

I have a completely different perspective on this
thread.  Many have talked about the negatives of
church employment, but I have experienced the
positives.

When I was 24 years old, I was just another burned out
3rd year law student.  I had been studying music,
including piano and organ, seriously from some very
good teachers.  Also, I had been a part time music
director at a small church and loved the job.  So, I
decided to pursue music after I finished law school.
Everyone thought that I was crazy and that this wasn't
going to work out.

A year after law school I moved to Austin to enter
graduate school at UT Austin.  For about a month, I
was wondering how I could make it without a student
loan.  However, I quickly found two part time church
jobs, taught 30 piano students, and worked for the
local classical radio station.  About 9 months later,
I read of a full time church music job opening in San
Antonio.   At first, I thought it was a long shot due
to my age and experience.  Also, I knew that the San
Antonio to Austin commute would be difficult.
However, I applied for the job and got it.

Soon after getting the job, the church started having
massive financial problems (not because of me).  I
found myself without a music budget.  However, I was
determined to succeed.  I developed a concert series
for the church which raised money for music.  We
brought in jazz, popular, and classical musicians and
attracted big audiences.  Also, I raised money for a
new organ in four months.  During  my time there, I
formed a new music group and recruited new people to
all the other music groups (not bad for a church that
was losing members due to politics).

After working for this church for about a year and a
half, I determined that it just didn't have much of a
future.  So, I found greener pastures at another
church.  Before accepting this job, I carefully looked
at statistics about this church's finances and growth.
 Since I've been there, I've formed two music groups,
a concert series, and a music academy.  Recently, I
started giving group piano classes at my church.
Although I am not "rich," I do as well or better than
many others (including some people in my first
profession- law).

Here are some general principles about church
employment that I've discovered.

1. It's not about the organ, it's about the music
program.  While churches want someone who can play
competently, ultimately organ playing is only a small
part of what you do.  Full time music director jobs
mainly involve leading the different music groups.  If
you have a proven track record developing music
groups, then this matters far more than your organ
playing.  Churches want to increase their membership
through the "small group" approach, and music groups
fit into this nicely.

2.  Ask about the growth/financial statistics before
you take a job.  If the church has been losing members
and offerings have been on a decline for several
years, then I would avoid the job.  It is impossible
to have a growing music program in a declining church.
 Also, less offerings mean that your music budget (and
possibly your salary) is likely to be cut.

3.  Ask about the work schedule.  Many churches
require their music directors to be at the office 9-5
from Monday to Friday, as well as at nightly
rehearsals.  Others don't care about office hours, as
long as you get the job done.  Be sure to find out
about this, or you'll wind up being a slave to the
church.

4.  Get involved with your congregation.  You cannot
be too well liked in your church.  I'm not saying that
you should compromise everything you believe in for
the sake of popularity, but I am saying that your
image in the church is important.  When the church has
functions, go to them and meet them.  Getting to know
people is also a great way to recruit for your music
groups.  Also, if you have a big fundraising drive
coming up, your connections in the congregation will
matter.

5.  Think outside the box.  In my view, the
"organ/choir" model of music ministry is over.
Instead, we are moving to a new age of eclecticism.
The future church will still have choirs, but we will
also have many other music groups.  These include
handbell groups, instrumental groups (brass, string,
or wind), and contemporary Christian rock groups.
Now, I know that many of you are gasping at the last
thing I mentioned.  I once looked down on these things
as well, but now I realize that they present a great
musical challenge.  Putting together a good praise
band is a difficult task that requires a lot of skill.
 In general, try to form music groups based on
people's interests.

Another "out of the box" idea is a music academy. At
my church, we have a guitar teacher who now teaches
three separate classes.  I teach two piano classes.
Currently, I am working on a string program.  These
classes will develop the talent inside of your church,
and bring in people from the community.

Finally, try to develop a concert series for your
church.  Bring in exciting artists from all genres to
perform.  At most of the concerts I've promoted, I've
managed to sell at least 100 tickets, with very little
advertising.

6.  Don't be afraid to defend yourself.  In the past,
I've had people in the church trying to attack me.  In
one case, another staff member was actively trying to
get me fired.  You must address these attacks and
organize a defense.  It is important to develop
relationships with those who lead the church.  If a
problem arises, then go to these people and discuss
things with them.

T.J.