Re: Church Employment

Mike Franch <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:20:19 -0600

Unfortunately, there are a lot of peolpe that have spent a lot of time and
money in their chosen profession. I VOWED as a naive college student, that I
would never work in a position that I consider to be a job. My father was a
meat cutter and, I guess, he liked it becuase he had no other aspirations.
When he retired he worked at a golf club selling tee times, food, etc. Paid
nothing, but he loved it.

I graduated with a degree in Communications and had apirations to be in
television for the rest of my life. After going through three stations with
lay off warnings, and finally being laid off myself, I (gulp) took a job in
sales. The antithesis of intelligence. Its simply the ability to get people
to buy something. I sell newspaper advertising, though, which is not like
retail sales, but its still selling.

Many of my coworkers are in the same boat. All had dreams of some sort, to
be crushed by the reality of the true monetary value of their knowledge.

It's not a position that dreams are made of, or that much pride exists, but
it pays the bills. I have to "psych" myself up to the occaision every day. I
tried my hand at organbuilding, but, again the pay compared with the cost of
living in the area, didn't seem to match. Coupled with my lack of experience
in the field, I was not worth as much as an apprentice organbuilder.

So here I am. Selling. Whoppee!

I truly feel the pain of you folks who have dedicated your life to a higher
calling, only to have society tell you your not worth the value of your
knowledge.

Mike Franch
Madison, WI