Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1993 23:06:26 EST
Well, this list began life last Friday with 47 charter subscribers;
we're now at 99 and still growing fast.  Those of you who subscribed
since that time received a few paragraphs of helpful tips from LIST-
SERV which I'm redistributing below for the benefit of the charter
bunch (apologies to the rest of you):

  You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF PIPORG-L"
  command to [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask]).
  Please note that this command must NOT be sent to the list address
  (PIPORG-L@ALBNYVM1) but to the LISTSERV address (LISTSERV@ALBNYVM1).
  The amount of acknowledgement you wish to receive from this list upon
  completion of a mailing operation can be changed by means of a "SET
  PIPORG-L option" command, where "option" may be either "ACK" (mail
  acknowledgement), "MSGACK" (interactive messages only) or "NOACK".

  Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived.  You can
  obtain a list of the available archive files by sending an "INDEX
  PIPORG-L" command to [log in to unmask] (or
  [log in to unmask]).  These files can then be retrieved by means
  of a "GET PIPORG-L filetype" command, or using the database search
  facilities of LISTSERV.  Send an "INFO DATABASE" command for more
  information on the latter.

  Please note that it is presently possible for anybody to determine that
  you are signed up to the list through the use of the "REVIEW" command,
  which returns the network address and name of all the subscribers.  If
  you do not wish your name to be available to others in this fashion,
  just issue a "SET PIPORG-L CONCEAL" command.

  More information on LISTSERV commands can be found in the LISTSERV
  reference card, which you can retrieve by sending an "INFO REFCARD"
  command to [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask]).

  Virtually,

  The LISTSERV management
Postings to PIPORG-L are archived on a monthly basis.  So far this month we've
accumulated about 4700 lines of correspondence!  To see this month's archive,
send LISTSERV@ALBANY the command "GET PIPORG-L LOG9301".

A few of you have subscribed using a pseudonym instead of a real name, e.g.,
"SUB PIPORG-L Vox Humana".  This is really not appropriate ate for a list of
this kind -- people like to know to whom they are talking to and I'd urge those
of you who have done this to change your entry to your real name.  This is
easily done simply by resending your subscription request with the corrected
name:  "SUB PIPORG-L Joe Doakes".  (This will NOT cause you to become
subscribed twice.) If you REALLY wish to remain invisible to other subscribers,
use the CONCEAL command described above.

Another point:  normally when you post to the list, LISTSERV does NOT mail you
a copy of what you posted.  If you worry about things like that, you can give
the command "SET PIPORG-L REPRO".

Remember:

1.  ALBANY, ALBNYVM1, albany.edu and uacsc2.albany.edu are all different ways
of specifying where PIPORG-L and our LISTSERV live.  Our preference is that
you use ALBANY from BITNET sites, albany.edu from Internet sites.

2.  Send postings to PIPORG-L@ALBANY, housekeeping commands to [log in to unmask]

Finally, for something entirely different:  Some subset of subscribers may be
interested in knowing about another discussion list [log in to unmask]  The list
describes itself as follows:

  WOODWORK is designed to be a forum of discussion of the tools, methods
  and techniques used in working with wood.  If you are a hobbyist or
  a budding professional, as a member of WOODWORK, please feel free to
  take part in the ongoing discussions.  Without you, WOODWORK can not
  function.

If you're interested, you can subscribe by sending the command "SUB WOODWORK
Your Name" to [log in to unmask]  (IPFWVM does not have an Internet address
as far as I can tell; Internetters can try sending to [log in to unmask] .)
This list cross-posts to Usenet newsgroup rec.woodworking, so if you read that
already, there's not much point subscribing.