HPSCHD-L  November 2003

HPSCHD-L November 2003

Re: Re. string angles

Jon-o Addleman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:51:19 -0500

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 04:33:34AM +1030, Richard Schaumloffel spake thusly:
> Looks like the entire string band is a bit too far to the right. The 4'
> pins are all a bit close to the 8' strings and the top 8' string is
> close to the end of the nut. If I were fixing this problem I would take
> out all the 8' nut pins plug the holes with birch dowels then redrill
> the holes to the left  about 3-4 mm so that all the strings on the nut
> have enough side bearing, you would'nt then have to move any tuning pins.
>
> Possibly the bridge pins may benefit from being moved as well,  then you
> may need to move both the 4' pins, nut and bridge. You will need to mark
> the nut pins from the registers using the usual Hubbard/Zuckermann
> procedure.Of course you will then need to redelrin and revoice. You may
> need the drawings to remark the bridge.
>
> Did you build this instrument? I know this looks like a lot of work but
> in view of the fact that the instrument looks in good condition and
> well made it would be well worth it You shouldn't need to remove the
> strings.Done properly the job should be invisible

Just a few more notes about this machine:

First off, I didn't build it, it was build in the 70's by someone living
vaguely near my parents (out in the woods, a 45 minute drive is 'near').

Second thing: it's in New Brunswick, and now I'm in Montreal, so I can't
really do much with it now. :) But thanks for all the advice! I'll have
another look when I'm back there in December, and probably do something
or other with it.

For now, I think I'll take out the top string, and move the tuning pins
over one notch, at least the top half of them. Playing with them like
that for a day or so will give me an idea how things sound. It would
definitely be too big an angle in the bass.

If that works really well, I'll either just drill another tuning pin at
the top, and plug the hole left in the middle (ugly but quick) or else
maybe move all the hitchpins. That's a LOT of work though, especially
with all the revoicing, and I'll probably not have a lot of time there
to do it, unfortunately. Maybe a quick fix for now, without drilling a
any holes, and simply dropping the top D for now, will be done until I
have a solid week or so to fiddle with it (and when I don't have a
concert to prepare and perform on it, as I will in December).

Also, it seems, though I'll have to have another look at it later, that
moving the hitchpins by the millimetre or two that would be possible
would only make a tiny difference with the top strings, where it really
matters, and a huge difference in the bass, where it really doesn't need
it. Of course, that's kind of inherent in the angled nut design of the
thing, and the placement of the tuning pins should take that into
account, but it seemed that the amount of movement that would be
permissible in the bass would have negligible effect in the treble. I
could easily be very wrong about that though.

Expect more news in a month or so. :)

--
Jon-o Addleman