Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1993 10:42:41 -0500
Does anyone on the list have experience constructing a horseshoe
console or plans for one?  I might want to think about considering
making a compact 3m with a curved stop rail for my residence organ.
How about experience building wooden reed pipes?  I'd like to make
a 16' octave for an old Skinner Flugel Horn.  Yes, that is a crazy idea,
but maybe someone has already given it a try.  I've built a few
wooden flue pipes and a replica 1867 Marklove pedal board and a
few windchests (including one from a CC Stopped Diapason pipe; hmmm....).
Marklove (an English building who moved to Utica, NY, in the mid 1800s)
built at least one 8' octave for an Oboe by constructing narrow tapered
wooden resonators on top of blocks containing standard reed organ reeds.
They can't be tuned except by filing the tongues, but they actually
sound rather nice, a kind of slightly-muffled woody sound.  How about
a small-scaled wooden Diaphone, or maybe a 16' bass to a Vox Humana?
Has anyone built a Haskell bass (I'm considering trying to convert
an Moller wooden 8' Open Diapason bass octave into a 16' Dulciana by
fitting the pipes with Haskell tubes and new rollers and new upper lips.)
(This is getting too wierd, so I'll stop!)
Anyway, thankx in advance for any info.
Larry Chace ([log in to unmask])