From:
Owen Daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:00:05 -0700
Short version: size both sides of the board with VERY thin hot hide
glue. By very thin, I mean the stuff should look and feel just like weak
tea, save that it won't be perfectly clear. Hot dirty water, sort of.
You'll have a strong enough mix if the stuff left on your fingers begins
to feel ever the slightest bit sticky after a minute or so of cooling
and evaporation.

Flood it on one side of the board and watch in horror as the thing curls
up like a cinnamon stick. When it's dry, the board will flatten back out
somewhat (maybe overnight), but still be a bit humped. Now do the other
side, and go through the same thing in the opposite direction. Now let
the thing stabilize for a day or so, and eventually it will lie flat
enough (perfectly flat isn't important). The surface will have a
slightly rough "feel" to it, but will have a nice shine, and things will
glue to it much more effectively. This treatment seems to boost the
acoustical sensitivity of the thing, though you won't really get the
full acoustical "hit" until the edges are locked/glued into the case. It
will make gluing more effective because the glue won't soak into the
wood as far and 'starve' the joints. But you will have to use
proper-strength real hot hide glue for gluing on the bridge and ribs.

As for a final coat of something-or-other, we all have our disagreements
and crochets. I don't use shellac, because to me it sounds hard-edged
and "plastic-like," (it is, in fact, a natural polyester!), but if the
shellac final coat (AFTER any gluing is done, PLEASE!) is extremely,
vanishingly dilute, it will probably do nothing noticeable. I use myhrr,
but only because it has a nice texture, smells nice, and gives me the
illusion of at worst not hurting the sound. But I have also just left
the board with nothing more than the glue size without any problems (the
new Italian didn't develop any stickiness on the board in the
near-100%-humidity extreme heat in Boston).

owen

--
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.