From:
Timothy Tikker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 1994 22:22:51 -0700
On Sat, 24 Sep 1994, D. Kelzenberg wrote:

> I would like to throw out a general query about tuning and temperaments
> to the list.  What temperament(s) do you prefer to set?  How do you set
> it/them, and what music and instruments is it good for?

Actually, I tend to use Rameau (1725?) the most.  It is basically 1/4
comma meantone, with pure thirds on f/a, c/e and g/b.  I make a choice as
to whether I prefer d/f# or d/Bb to be a better third (it varies with the
tonality of the music).  The fun thing about this temperament is that two
fifths, Eb/Bb and Bb/F are tuned 1/3 comma _wide_ and that actually makes
the flat keys Eb and Ab a little more tolerable (it's all done with
mirrors).  It's not particularly easy to tune at first, but easier than
Neidhart's.  It's in Klop's older little yellow harpsichord tuning book,
p. 17.  I guess I like it because it's kinder to thirds, and I really go
for the vertical harmony.  It is _not_ particularly well suited to the
organ, as the fifths are fairly wobbly, like meantone, unless you primarily
play classic French repertoire (that often omits the fifth in chords).
This Rameau temperament seems to match well with Baroque winds (flute,
oboe, bassoon), which is what I mostly play with.

For playing with strings, I try to match pure E/A/D/G/C as much as
possible, even leaving C/E a little wobbly, and cook up the thirds to
sound good in the repertoire at hand (thirds as good as possible for
French), though for later music (Bach and CPE) sacrifice the thirds a bit
for more key flexibility. Sometimes I will retune 3 or 4 G#s or D#s
between pieces if the program's key spread is wide.

Neidhart I (all are in Jorgensen) works pretty well for Bach, particularly
the E major harpsichord concerto.  We presently have our house organ
tuned in this.