From:
Lee Ridgway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 10:41:46 EST
The "new" Moller sound, i.e., from the late '80s, is pretty much the
product of Dan Angerstein, who was brought in to save the company (as
I've heard the tale). Angerstein is an excellent builder and tonal
finisher, having worked with Aeolian-Skinner, had his own shop with
Allen Kinzey in the Boston area (doing mostly small trackers, as well as
e-p maintenance, etc), and working with other builders. He also built a
few instruments on his own. The work of his that I know is very musical,
and of high quality mechanically.

One story has it that the first thing Angerstein did was to redo all the
pipe scales, to balance the sound so that there was adequate fundamental
for the upper work. A knowledgeable person told me that those old Moller
pipe shop workers just couldn't work with the new itty-bitty, smaller
scale pipes for the upper work; they wanted something they could really
get their fingers into!

Moller was probably too far over its head for Angerstein to be very
effective in saving it. I think, had time been on their side, we would
have seen people having to change their minds about the musical quality
of instruments with the Moller name.

Does anyone know if Angerstein is involved with any of the new ventures
coming out of the old Moller?