From:
Carlos Noguis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:13:10 -0300
Dear HPSCHD listers:
Three months ago I started lurking this list since february/95, i.e.
downloading the archives and reading/enjoying them until I got a
personal email adress to subscribe.
As an introduction, I live in Formosa,  northern  province of Argentina,
where I work in a local newspaper, taking care of the computers and
ranting and raving about the quality of the said paper.
 I love clavichords and harpsichords and I think I'm the only one in
this city who even know what these are. Other interest I share with many
of the listers is languages. The province where I live has a border with
Paraguay, and there is a lot of guarani spoken here. (A very difficult
language with extremely rich verb modes and degrees of adjective...)
Long ago in the list you were discussing about spanish names for hps.
and clav. and I was mad at telling you that among people who know them
the names are Clave (or some times the italian word Cembalo or the
french Clavecin) and Clavicordio. As a lover of Spanish I shuddered at
the mention of miamian spanglish like  arpsicordio  (Arrrggghhhh)...
After digesting the very long threads about tuning, and with no access
to any real library, I still have some
Queries:
1) What is the difference between 1/4 comma meantone and 31 TET?
They seem to be the same (as far as I could gather from the postings),
but Owen Daly wrote (meantone  fretting numbers, jan. 15, 1998) about
moving the tangents of a clav. to make it QCM and the ratios mentioned
were somewhat different from the ones I calculated for 31TET. (1.0446
and 1.0702 for Owen's meantone vs1.0457 and 1.0694 for 31TET)
2) (Tuning again)
What would be the matter with tuning a keyboard in just intonation
selecting the black keys to be for example C#, Eb, F#, G#(or Ab) Bb? I
understand this is done with 1/4 comma meantone, but why not with JI?
Too many wolfs?
3) Please!!! Somebody tell me how exactly works the action of a
tangentenfl|gel!
4) On december/96 I was tantalized by the following:
>>Jack Peters in Seattle     P>S> Does anyone really want one of these Zwollechords?   They are quite easy and cheap to build.>>  regarding the clavichor by Arnaut de Zwolle
5) One of my most beloved treasures is Hubbard's  Three centuries... . I
almost know it by heart, but: Is there a book on Clavichords with the
same style and the same kind of info?
I'd better  stop here.
Mighty glad to having contacted you all.
Carlos