From:
Hendrik Broekman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:50:45 -0400
David asks:

>The note in question is the second quarter note in the tenor voice of the
>left hand of bar 6.  Ferguson has this as a d1, which gives, to my way of
>thinking, a most unlikely harmony of d minor in first inversion, with a
>seventh to boot.  If I read this note as f1, it makes more sense to me: the
>f1 then completes the tonic cadence on the weak beat, and the move to the
>dominant begins on the third beat.
>
>Maybe this is a mistake in the Ferguson edition: I should be grateful if
>anyone who has an alternative edition would check it for me.

The Baerenreiter edition also gives this note as d1.  To my ear it is
more correct since it establishes the chord on the second quarter as
a first inversion d chord (the subsequent treble f'', a', c'' figure
turns it into a 6-5 and, since you avoid the implied parallel fifth
that results when one simply moves around in root position triads,
all's right with the world).  But it does look weird, I'll give you
that.

Best,

Hendrik Broekman